looking for filter suggestions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Clownguy

I was hoping people had some pictures of there sumps for their sps systems. I have been running a sump with 6-8" of sand for about 5 years now and have never been able to get my nitrates below 40 ppm. I was hoping people could help give me some pictures for suggestions on filtration. Thanks.

Chris

Clownguy said:
I was hoping people had some pictures of there sumps for their sps systems. I have been running a sump with 6-8" of sand for about 5 years now and have never been able to get my nitrates below 40 ppm. I was hoping people could help give me some pictures for suggestions on filtration. Thanks.

Chris
:?: Chris... there most likely is a - lot of people here who could/would help ya.... if you can let us know more of your info of the Tank/Habitants/Feeding/type of food/lighting.....? i now for myself i can atleast get you in the right direction.... CW.

Clownguy said:

Chris
Have you tried a refugium?? I know that macro helped me a bunch.

I agree with both of these guys.... It could be a number of facors... As CW mentioned over feeding, bioload etc. IMO and as Charlie said lots of macro algae for nitrate reduction.

Are the higher nitrates a recent happening?

I love 100 micron filter sock... one my best decissions, that and a GOOD skimmer and your set! A Fuge is always a good thing to have but in my opinion invest in a GOOD skimmer.

How do those socks work for you?
The sump on my 375 is getting two sock slots that I will only use during cleaning the main tank to catch the debris. I won't run them on a continous basis... I figure running them all the time will make them a nitrate trap unless cleaned all the time. There is the possibility of them getting clogged or catching a critter that finds its why down the overflow...

More INFO.Please :) whats else is in the sump do you have a skimmer how many fish in what size tank etc.

My tank is a 150 pent with 200lbs of live rock and only a little bit of sand in the fron two inches of the tank. My sump is a 6-8" deep sand bed with a nauttilus skimmer. It use to be a refugium until my macro died and now its hard to find anyone local that has any. I think the nitrates are coming from the sand bed because it is filthy and I have never really done any cleaning with it I am almost thinking of clearing out all except a small amount of the sand and keeping it clean. Not sure though. How deep is the sand ineveryones refugium? Thanks

Chris

I forgot to put that I have a pump that pushes 1400 gph as a return and a ampmaster 3000 on a closed loop. Lighting is 2 250 mh on a pfo hqi ballast with 14k hamiltons and 4 24" actinic vho's. Koralin Ca reacto with a DIY reef 2nd chamber. The sump is my custom design with a 12" section for my skimmer then a series of baffles and then the sand bed which is 24" in length and 18" wide and 6-8" deep, then a space for the pump. That should be it. Sump/refugium is lighted by a 96 watt pc, but no macro in their currently.

Chris

where are you at? If you are local I have some macro for you. Chaeto, free no charge.

Mat

I am just up in mukilteo. If you don't mind I can come grab some. Thanks for the offer.

Chris

Back