loud sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

beoks

hi guys this is my very first build so im learning as i go, im setting up a 100g with a 50g sump right now it has a 1200gph HOBO and a mag drive 24 return pump i planned on adding another HOBO when i could afford itso i went a little overkill on the pump. all plumbing is done with 1inch pvc. my return pump is making a lot of noise if you have ever had a leaky toilet thats what it sounds like. i am fairly sure its the ball valve on the return line or where it T's. i ran a T off the return line so it dumps back into the same area in the sump so i could control the flow a little better. i'll try and post a pic when i can. there is also 3 90's in there which prob isnt helping. does anyone have any suggestions or helpfull hints. i heard somewhere that gate valves worked a little better could that help?

this is the diagram i tryed to copy exept i went no bulkheads, wasnt brave enough

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...sump&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS217US217&sa=N

thank you

I can say with almost 100% certainty that your HOBO is causing the toilet flushing sound.
It is making that noise as the siphon breaks and it gulps a bunch of air.

As far as the return pump, get rid of the T and use the valve directly in line with the pump and return to choke it back. The more cascading waterfalls you have the noisier your tank will be.

doesnt restricting the flow on the pump directly like that make it run hotter and shorten the life?

so this is what it looks like.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Back