lowering alkilinty

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Waterchanges are probably your quickest way. Ensure your make-up water has the alkalinity you want.

It may help if you can list what your tank parameters are currently, then where you are wanting your alkalinity... and I'm sure other's would have better ideas how to help.

if your alk is high then I imagine your calcium is low. so you need to keep them in balance better, do a water change and then re-test.
what are your parameters?
and what do you dose?
do you have a calcium reactor??

Matt

I Will Have To Try To Get A Bigger Image You Cant Read It OR EMAIL ME AT
(edited email) and i will send the pic i could use some help figuring out my readings
thanks

Last edited:
Emilsanto, I removed your email from public view. I would highly suggest not posting it publicly like that. Web bots love picking up stuff like that and you get allot of spam in return. Use the PM system instead.

For larger files, use your gallery space instead. There is no file size limit but please try to keep it manageable.

Cheers
Steve

I would say a water change with oceanic salt. high in Ca and low in alk. IO is high alk med CA so it wouldn't help much. go get your water tested at a lfs also for a second opinion.

Alkalinity lowers by itself .So unless you Add more by kalkwasser or some addative or a calcium reactor it won't raise by itself .

If it's way high it can lower your calcium level's I would get that checked as well and see if they are balanced !

I can't see the test kit info! I would get it tested else where and ask what Exactly it reads first !! Yes a water change is a good idea and testing that new water Before adding to your tank is also a good idea. But If you can't tell from the test kit you own Exactly what it reads! How can you know if it is bad or not ? Maybe a New/Different (sallifert) test kit is needed ?

Last edited:
I also have this problem. Salifert test kits show Ca at 360, KH at 11.8/4.25. So calcium is low and alkilinity is high. I have also found magnesium to be low (1125 ppm) and am working on bringing it up. BTW... I did a 20 gal water change on the 125 gal tank the day before I tested.

But how did I get here? I have a kalkwasser drip going 24/7 which should be balanced. And I add a 2-part cal/alk additive in equal doses. Is the low magnesium to blame?

Should I stop adding the alk additive although the 2-part should be added equally? Do I need to do bigger water changes? Will it come into line when I raise the mag?

I also have this problem. Salifert test kits show Ca at 360, KH at 11.8/4.25. So calcium is low and alkilinity is high. I have also found magnesium to be low (1125 ppm) and am working on bringing it up. BTW... I did a 20 gal water change on the 125 gal tank the day before I tested.

But how did I get here? I have a kalkwasser drip going 24/7 which should be balanced. And I add a 2-part cal/alk additive in equal doses. Is the low magnesium to blame?

Should I stop adding the alk additive although the 2-part should be added equally? Do I need to do bigger water changes? Will it come into line when I raise the mag?

You can only be balanced if you start off being balanced. Your salt mix, IO I assume based on the imbalace ration is off. Adding ca only and mg to your waterchanges will bring you back in line. Dose only the ca and mg part to the tank until your back on track then stay that way by balancing your salt mix.

Don

my salt is redsea

Scarry:) , just kidding. All salt will be off one direction or another. Make up a batch at 35ppt and test ca alk and mg. This will tell you where you stand in the balancing act. If its low on ca and mg as compared to alk then you add ca and mg accordingly befor using the fresh mix.

Make sense?

Don

Don, you make a lot of sense in a hobby that's sometimes hard to understand. Thanks for your help.

Back