Lugols vs. Povidone-Iodine Prep solution

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a 16 oz bottle of Povidone-Iodine Prep Solution 10% Topical Solution (equivalent to 1% titratable iodine) I'm trying to compare this to Lugols as a way of figuring out how much to use for a coral dip treatment. The bottle is made by Triad and called Triadine. Here is a link to the actual MSDS for this bottle.
http://www.triad-group.net/msds/PVP-Iprep.pdf

I don't know the concentration of Lugol's so am trying to find out if this is safe to use, and if so, how it would compare to Lugol's. So, for instance, if a treatment of 5 drops of Lugol's is called for, how many drops of this stuff would I use? Since I have such a large bottle of this stuff, I'd like to be able to use it...lol.

Check and see if its alchohol based. Lugols is water based. A lot of the others are not.

Lugol's solution is 5 g Iodine and 10 g Potassium Iodide mixed with 85 ml DI water. So, this ia a 5 % solution but here is also a 2 % soltuion, @ 2 g Iodine, 4 g KI and 94 ml of water. We use mostly the 5 % in coral dips. What Don means by Alcohol base is called Iodine of Tincture. What effect the rest would have in a dip I don't know but you could try it on one. Your Triadine is very similar to Betadine, so IMHO see no real issue.

Back