Lumenarc IV?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Anyone ever seen/used these? I'm exploring the whole lumenarc world and came across these. wondered if they were brand new to the market? or if they had been around for a while...

anyone know?
L4side2real.gif

I have about 7 of them on my tank, they must be a slightly oldedr model then the ones you have posted up. Pretty close though

MIke

Anyone ever seen/used these? I'm exploring the whole lumenarc world and came across these. wondered if they were brand new to the market? or if they had been around for a while...

anyone know?
L4side2real.gif

Yes, I was looking at the vented black reflectors from Luminarc. Here is a link from Reef Exotics.

http://www.reefexotics.com/lumenarc.htm

after the talk from PFO, I am considering using a glass shield. I figured it would protect inside of reflector and bulb. I am assuming more heat would go through top of reflector, reflector might be cooler running.

Oh -- so nothing too new then Mojo ehh? I thought I might be onto something. I see their sizes are a little differnt than the regular LII's: 25"L x 11.5"W x 7"H - probably good for different applications.

Ed - I was looking at the black w/ reflectors & vents, but i talked w/ someone who basically says it's the exact same inside as the regular LIIIs, except you get a harder black exterior w/ slotted vents. It almost didn't seem worth it to me, but I do think it looks a little cooler and you do get sturdier construction. I definatley agree w/ you about glass shield though - I've already lost 1 bulb by having water splash up and I know it'll happen again if i let it.

Ed - if airflow is what you're after, you may want to consider the LIII vent add on. So far, the cheapest I could find though for these 2 vent add on's is $50 each from Pacificgardensupply.com. Pretty pricey for two 3" vents w/ some reflective material on the inside if you ask me, but who am I to judge.

If anyone knows where I can get the vents for cheaper, let me know. They are special vents, not just regular 3" air vents.
airL3.jpg

I was thinking about

The black housing appeals to me not for looks but for safety in a closed hood. The extra metallic layer acts like the double wall flu's used in chimneys. the inner wall keeps heat & the outer wall is cooler providing a larger heat sink, may work out better to keep heat out of the tank. I would like to test the two in the same tank & see if that would be an advantage. Keeping the reflective material super clean is important also, either way you clean a glass shield or you clean the reflective surfaces over time, even with high hoods dust is attracted to the heat & sticks like glue. I think weekly wiping the glass would be an added choir but may be better in the long run. Now as far as the IV vrs the III, it slightly compromises maximum reflected light to gain use in tighter spaces, same affect with Minni's but there you would loose even more reflected light. Luminarc, PFO & sunlight supply all make super great products, study them all before making your purchase & then report back to us, so when time comes fo rme to buy some I'll have more information to look at:D

I am not sure I see the value in going to the IVs vs. IIIs. If my math is correct, you are paying $28 more for each. If you are going to have a slick canopy lift system I would think your splashing risk is now very low. They look more for show than go IMO. The lack of glass would seem to allow more venting and less heat up of bulb. You could easily rig up fans to move air any way you want I would think with your setup. They do look sturdier though which depending on how 'violent' your lift system works... could be an advantage.

Last edited:
well.. It's time for me to start making decisions. based on my lighting rack setup, rockplacement, & budget, the LIII's are probably the best decision for me. I'm also getting the glass shield and vent kit in hopes I can channel some nice air in and out of them.

If i went with the LII's w/ black reflector, I wouldn't be able to have this venting option at a later date unless I wanted to get really crafty. Maybe they'll consider that in their next model.

Back