Macro algae in overflow?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MadReef

Has anyone here ever tried to put macro algae in their overflow? I have a built in overflow (AGA) that gets plenty of light. I may give this a try. To avoid the algae getting out of control and growing into the pipes I may want to use a fine mesh bag that would allow the passing of water and light.

With the fine mesh bag - just make sure it doesn't collect detritus...you'll want to make sure it stays pretty clean. Do you know what type of macro aglae you would like to grow? I think chaeto would be a good one for an overflow box.

Hi Nikki,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually thinking about some Chaetomorpha I found at my LFS, but I have to admit I know next to nothing about plants. Do you think that would work without making a mess?

My 110 gallon reef is only about 2 months old and so far I have the algae under control. I think I just like the idea of having a refugium, but I'm not ready to do more plumbing.

Brad

I had some type of macro algea growing in my overflow don't know how it got there just appeared all of a sudden then had a pod explosion in there eventually I used a black screen to cover the overflow box because some of the larger snails were getting in there and eventually clogged the drain result was 5 gal of water on the carpet :mad:

MadReef said:
Hi Nikki,

I was actually thinking about some Chaetomorpha.

Brad
I have two clients that have overflows and don't have refugiums that I have done just what you are asking. I would only use Cheatomorpha as it does not root to the walls. Just make sure it does not get caught in the drain tube. That would make a mess. You will also only need a small amount of cheato as it grows pretty fast.

Again, make 100% sure it cannot plug the drain.

Back