macro algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jnance

Sailing Anyone?
or i believe its called macro algae. i think its chaeto. i got it from the lfs and the guy said its chaeto but i thought that chaeto was the stuff with the little green balls all over it? idk either way i got a large ball of this green algae and was wondering if you can put too much in your system. my system has very little livestock at the moment and was wondering if maybe the algae wouldnt get enough nutrients and die off producing nitrates? or a spike of some sort? lemme know thanks!
p.s. i tried to find a sticky or something with this info but couldnt find it, if there is one point me in the right direction please.

You can put too much in your system, however, it is hard to say how much is too much. It is nutrient and light dependent, so make sure it is getting enough light, and enough nutrients to keep it growing. By harvesting out the algae every so often, you will be removing the nutrients from you system, which is the point of growing macro algae. It is a matter of finding the balance with your system. When the algae dies off, it does leach the nutrients back into your system. What size tank, how old is the tank, what equipment, etc.?

Chaeto looks like this:

macro.jpg

(from the site Mistress Reef Coral Availability)

Nice picture Nikki!
I agree with Nikki that it will leach nutrients back into the water with die off. I had this happen to me this past week and i had a spike in nitrates. :(
I suggest turning it over occasionally so light gets to the bottom half also. If there is no light on it like Nikki said it will die.

yeah its chaeto alright, tank is 40 breeder with 30 sump. up and running for two years now, yeah its a pretty large ball of it, maybe i should take it out and cut some off? does the stuff eat organics that are going to cause nitrates, or does it eat the actual nitrates themselves?

I would stick it in the sump with a light and see how it does, if it starts dying then you can reduce the amount in the sump. You may see some initial die off as it takes a little time to get the macro used to your system.

I believe it feeds off of nitrates, but like anything else if it dies it will cause spikes. I'm not an expert but thats my 2 cents.. ;)

yeah its chaeto alright, tank is 40 breeder with 30 sump. up and running for two years now, yeah its a pretty large ball of it, maybe i should take it out and cut some off? does the stuff eat organics that are going to cause nitrates, or does it eat the actual nitrates themselves?

Back