mad at myself/suicidel fish?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
well, I got a really nice lawnmower blenny, a pretty big one in fact on friday. I was a bit stunned at the color, it was a much better looking fish then I have seen in the past. I was thrilled at what a large and healthy one I was able to get.

Well, fast forward to about 20 minutes ago, when I extacted his mangled body from a maxi-jet. Apprently, I had unplugged it and during the time it was unplugged, he manged to get in there, I don't know what he was thinking beacuse it looks like he was face first. Long story short, it was plugged back in and thats that.

I feel pretty bad about this. I realize now that I should have checked that out before I put him in the tank, as the way I have it rigged up allows a smaller fish to get in, and I had no fish that could have got in there in the past.

The other lawnmower I got was much smaller, and jumped into the overflow, had I not gone looking for him, he would have probably died in there.

there was a scooter blenny I got a few months ago that only made it a day or so before vanishing.

I didn't think I was going to have to fish proof my whole system, I thought that at least jumping in the overflow would be a no-no in their brain stem. Makes me wish I just had stuck with my one damsel, the only problem free fish I have ever had. Even my foxface freaking out constantly is beginning to worry me.

i feel you on your bleeny; i couple weeks back i got some new additions for my 90 gallon. a rabbit fish and a pipefish. well the rabbit fish lasted a mere 3 days, my other fish didnt like the new addition and then the territory fights began. one morning i saw him sucked up on a seio superflow. the pipefish i believed starved to death. lasted a week.

I like to see screens on all overflows and powerhead/pump inlets that a fish could get into. Chances are if you think your tank is fish proof, one will prove you wrong. I lost a firefish through what was literally a 1/4" gap in the canopy. It seems with marine fish, where there's a will, there's a way.

fish are harder to keep then corals
how sure are u the synchiorpus ocellatus (scooter dragonet/blenny) if u got a small one he could be crusing around the black of ur rock work hunting for pods
i love the lawnmower blennys they are one of my fav fish not very bright colours but intresting pattern and great personalitys

I wouldn't blame the scooter:D from his prospective. Sorry for your loss, they are really cool fish!

Back