Mag 18 and rust?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

I have a mag18 return pump and the screws that hold the impeller housing on to the body, are rusting after I opened it up to clean it about 3 months ago. What type of screw can I replace them with that wont cause any reef harm?
The mag18 sits inside my sump completely submerged.

Some high quality stainless screws would be perfect. Not the cheaper stainless ones though. Lowes has them.

I'd go to a marine store to get the screws. They usually carry the best quality ones (atleast the ones here do). :)

Sid, ever heard anyone say that if you submerge a stainless steel screw and don't expose it to air it will never rust?? :confused: I either heard that or read that somewhere before and can't figure out where and if there was any truth to it. :)

The highest quality SS screws will be the best to use. However, even over time, they'll show signs of rust, and will need replaced.

Sid, ever heard anyone say that if you submerge a stainless steel screw and don't expose it to air it will never rust?? :confused: I either heard that or read that somewhere before and can't figure out where and if there was any truth to it. :)

Any screw with exposed iron will rust. Cheap stainless screws have either too much iron or are just plated. Water & o2 or co2 is all that is need to rust.

Don

Oxygen is required, for rust to form, however, our reef tank water is oxygenated enough for this to take place.

Back