Mag 5

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

So I was given a Mag 5...I think it works. I think I'm going to start out with this as my return pump from my sump (although I'd like a little more flow through my spray bar eventually). The tank is a 29g BB with a sloped bottom.

The question is, it has metal screws and I swear on powerheads I've used in the past, the impellar magnet was coated with something and this one is not...it's metal. Is all of this exposed metal something to be concerned about?

I've got a mag 7 and a mag 9.5 with the same metal in my sump. over a year without any issue. I wouldn't worry about it...mags have been in saltwater tanks for a long time now.

Have mag drives as well

Hi kcharm I have a mag drive 24,18,12 and 2 mag drive 3's and they have been in use almost 2 years with No trouble I do belive the factory screws are made from stainless steel so you should be ok...

Just my 2 cents...Jeff

kcharm said:
So I was given a Mag 5...I think it works. I think I'm going to start out with this as my return pump from my sump (although I'd like a little more flow through my spray bar eventually). The tank is a 29g BB with a sloped bottom.

The question is, it has metal screws and I swear on powerheads I've used in the past, the impellar magnet was coated with something and this one is not...it's metal. Is all of this exposed metal something to be concerned about?

kcharm - was the pump used? You might think about cleaning the pump real well by running it in vinegar before you use it. Just to make sure any build up is eliminated.

Back