Magnesium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sandswhitson

What is everyone using to raise and maintain MG? I have been using Kent Magnesium but would like to find an alternative. I am using a calcium reactor for calcium and alkalinity.

The Bulk Reef Supply suppliments get good reviews. I have a gallon of the BRS magnesium suppliment mixed up and ready to go but haven't had a chance to use it so I can't give you my personal opinion yet.

I should also ask, why are you looking for an alternative? Looking for something cheaper or easier to maintain....?

I buy my mag chloride from Bulk reef supply and get my mag sulfate (epsom salt) from the grocery store. and mix the two according to BRS's directions.
I recently picked up a tub of brightwell mag and it seems like it will go a very, very long way as an occasional supplement.

if you are not fighting bryopsis, then mg chloride from BRS will suffice, however if you have bryopsis,then unfortunately Kent Tech M is the ONLY Mg that will work.

Not fighting bryopsis just looking for a cheaper alternative to the Kent that I have as it doesn't seem to raise my levels at all. I have added about 3-4 cups of it over the last two days and my mag is still only at 1150. I am looking for something to add to my calcium reactor and let it maintain a decent level and then can dose a little here and there if needed.

Ummmmm, 3 to 4 cups of Mg is a lot. I use a couple teaspoons every 4-6 weeks. That and regular water changes has my magnesium sitting just under 1300. I wouldn't add anymore to your tank and I wouldn't sweat the 1150 that you have now. That's not a bad number.

Mike

I use a mix of magnesium chloride hexahydrate and epsom in a ratio of 10 volumes to one as recommended by Dr Craig Bingman.
It takes a lot of magnesium to move the levels up significantly for a low reading because of the water content of the magnesium chloride hexahydrate.
Have you used the Reef Chemistry Calculator to determine how much is needed?
REEF CHEMISTRY CALCULATOR
For a 100g tank, it shows that using Kent's Tech M, you would need more than 3 more cups to go from 1150 to 1300.

I use the Bulk Reef Supply products and used their online calculators as initial guides for dosing. I then fine tune my dosing based on my regular water test results.

g

Back