~Magnetic Algae Clip~ Modified for thicker glass/acrylic

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TJL

copod
A little while back I posted a teaser to a DIY project for our North Sound Reefers club. I would like to better document with pics/video for a Reef Frontiers Workshop thread. To do this I would like for someone in need of this mod or would like to have a magnetic clip but hasn't bought one for fear of not working through thick glass/acrylic to come to my place with a 'Two Little Fishies' clip to be modified. I will provide the neo magnets and foam board and do the modification while you video/take pics and then you take it home for your tank use. I have enough extra magnets and am willing to do 2 if there is more than one person responding. I accomplished my mod using one each 5/8 x 5/8 and 5/8 x 1/2 neo magnets and works well through 3/4 acrylic so if anyone else was interested and could bring these sized magnets and the above vegi-clip I will provide the foam board and tools so that you could join us.

If you havn't used one of these magnetic clips yet they are a huge improvement over the suction cups or even the string (fishing line) method. You slide them up to the top for access in adding algae/cleaning and slide them back down after filled for feeding without the need to get your hands in the water or cleaning the glass to get suction cup to stick. Anyway if interested post a reply or shoot me a pm.

through 3/4" acrylic
magneticalgaeclipon75inch.jpg

magneticalgaeclipredo.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Hi Todd,

I'd be intereasted in seeing this in person. :D Where did you get the foam board and what is the thinckness on it? Just curious as it may or may not work for pump vibrations in a sump application and I would love to try some.

Cheers,
Alex

Hey Alex, I should have thought of this when responding to your earlier post. Michael's has it for .89 a sheet if I remember corectly and its 9x12x7/32" in black or white. It seems to be fairly inert and not much of a smell even after sanding edges smooth with bench-top sander. after posting this thread started to think it would be fairly easy to modify even a suction cup style clip with some scrap acrylic in replacing the suction cup.

Todd

THx Todd. I'll have to swing by there and pick some up so that I can test it out.

I have some Magnetic clips and they work great.. But ive noticed there getting Rusty is that a bad thing? Do you anticipate your rusting over time?
Scott

I have some Magnetic clips and they work great.. But ive noticed there getting Rusty is that a bad thing? Do you anticipate your rusting over time?
Scott

Yes, one of my favorite newer gadgets for the reeftank. I don't believe that a small amount of iron will do any harm. Mine has no sign of rust and the 'Two Little Fishies' brand uses epoxy coated magnets as well. The extra neo magnets I added to mine have been in use for about 5-6 months and are showing no sign of rust, I did coat them pretty well in super-glue though. I did figure out a super simple way to modify std vegi-clips using two small diameter discs of 1/8-1/4" acrylic and a short piece of 1/4" acrylic rod replacing suction cup.

Cheers, Todd

Back