magnum 350 as refugium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

vwrock

I have a magnum 350 canister filter not being used. Right now I have the caulerpa in my display tank... it is getting everywhere and am enjoying the help with nitrates.... the algae is growing though because I have bumped up the time my light is on to prevent the caulerpa from going sexual. I guess what I want to know has anyone made their magnum 350 a refugium or what are your thoughts on this will it work?... I have an extra light I could keep in my stand with it and since it has clear sides I was hoping this might work.... I have no sump at the moment or I would do that and my cash flow I short right now let me know what u guys think.....

IDK, sounds like it might be trouble.
You'd be better off getting a proper sump, than trying to make the canister filter do something it's not designed to do.

I understand a proper sump/refugium would be better... I just don't have the cash flow and I guess should've said should I remove the caulerpa all together even though it is helping with nitrates... or should I give this a shot... if I removed the internals and put screens to prevent the caulerpa from getting into the motor would it be that bad? What are u seeing as possible problems? Maybe ur seeing a side of it I'm not :-(

I'd probably steer away from it as well. If you had a hang on power filter with an open top I'd say that would be a better suggestion, but in that compact little canister with 350 gph whizzing through it may not work so well for you in addition to it probably being a pain to light up.

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I do have a hang on the back filter.... just not sure how I would light it.... I have a light 15 w normal lay on top tank light I was going to strap to the side.... any idea how I would light the hob filter?

I will let u know... I have a 29 gallon tank I am thinking of setting up as a fuge display next to my tank. I just need to find a stand and I think I have everything else needed for it.... so if any one has a black pine stand let me know :) thank u all for your thoughts and making me be more creative .... and ill let u know about the hang on back fuge if I can't find a stand.... for cheap....haha. doubt I will but u never know.

Look on craigslist in the free section. Thats where I found my satnd. And I have a light I will throw in with it that has a bulb but its realllllyy old. It's just sitting in my garage so it's avalible.

Back