Maintaining Refugium/Sump??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanaReefer

I'm noticing some cyano developing in my fuge area of my sump. Not quite sure how to combat this. I do have a small Koralia power head I could add for extra flow. Otherwise I'm not sure what to do. I've got plenty of Chaeto in there, maybe to much? Only the one piece of coral skeleton. No LR.
Any suggestions please?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404964838.526337.jpg

With a slower flow sump, that is (IMO) the only down side. I add a small powerhead to create more flow in that area.

That should help.
I had a spare Tunze 6045 so I used it.
In the refugiums area they tend to clog from small bits of chaeto so it's something you should check once in a while.

Lol-yeah it already has.

On another note. How do I fix this? It's driving me nuts! I can see the water level lower on the left :(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405031364.211693.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

It was when I first set it up. I can see where it sits deeper in the carpet on the right side. This is what I see :( Am I going to have a issue here?
7uduputu.jpg

Hmmm, not sure. But I would want to correct it for myself.
Long term it may put stress on the joints of the stand and tank, just because it's not sitting completely level.
That's one of the hazards of putting a tank on carpet.

I think I would try and figure out how much difference there is on the low side. If you have access to a 4' level, or use a shorter level and a 4' board.
Then figure a way to shim up the low side of the stand, that amount.

I used to use chemi-clean for red slime. Downfall is you have to turn off your skimmer but it works. I think raising magnesium works. I think there is a range cyanobacteria thrives. I have had low magnesium levels & added magnesium. Red slime then appears when I had none. I keep raising magnesium & the cyanobacteria dies. I have never heard anyone suggest elevated magnesium for red slime but it works for me & I dont have to turn off my skimmer. As for the unlevel tank, get a brute garbage can to drain your tank enough to lift & slide shims under the stand.

Back