• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Maintaining Your Chiller!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

barrierreefcf

Sponsor
Attention Chiller Users!!​
Now that the weather is starting to hit the higher temps your chillers are starting to work a bit more than normal so we have a few spring cleaning tips to remind you of what will help keep your chiller operating in tip top shape.
#1 Depending on what make and model chiller you own one of the most important maintenance habits one should have is to clean all the dust out of the radiator/fan area and any other dust/debris guard shields. My personal favorite is a high pressured compressed air can with an air gun. Otherwise a vacuum cleaner and toothbrush can work well too.
#2 Go to Home Depot and purchase some Muriatic Acid and make up a diluted acid wash and flush out the chiller titanium coil chamber to dissolve off any calcium based debris/animals. If you have a drop-in probe style chiller, then just submerse the metal portion into a bucket with the acid wash. If you want a little safer and less caustic method you can try vinegar, but sometimes it isn’t as effective. Inspect the coil once clean and see if there is any other slime or debris that couldn’t be removed by the acid and if so you can follow up with a bleach bath. If you use bleach make sure to thoroughly rinse with hot water or follow up with a concentrated bath of water and a good water dechlorinator. FYI, the Muriatic Acid is found in the outdoor gardening sections at participating Home Depots.
#3 If your chiller seems to be running all the time check to see if all the components are clean, the chiller is located in a properly ventilated area, and its getting proper water flow through it. If all of these check out ok then it might be low on refrigerant. If you don’t have a neighborhood refrigeration expert to check it out my recommended appliance repair joint is:
First Appliance Repair and Service in Bellevue off of NE 20th back behind West Coast Marine. Contact info is: #425-453-8845
Ask for Kim and he’ll diagnose your problems and take care of you. Just be prepared to be without your chiller for a week or two since they get slammed during the warmer months.
Stay Cool!!:cool:

UPDATE 6/28/2011--- We just verified that First Appliance Repair no longer works on aquarium chillers. We are looking for a new repair shop but we hear not many will work on them.

Last edited:
what would be the ratio for diluting the muriatic acid? will it have any effect on the pump used to circulate the mixture? Seems like it might eat up the shaft on a pump.

Hey Barrier Reef - especially Chris and Brie - Thank you so much for the TECO 1/3 hp chiller you ordered for me. I've been meaning to let you know that it arrived safe and sound. I haven't hooked it up yet because I'm going to do a big remodel on the fish room and of course the weather doesn't really call for it.

You guys are the greatest.
Jill

what would be the ratio for diluting the muriatic acid? will it have any effect on the pump used to circulate the mixture? Seems like it might eat up the shaft on a pump.

Use about 1 cup in four gallons of freshwater if you are going to circulate it in that manner. It won't hurt your pump. You could also go stonger and carefully pour it directly into the chiller port and fill the system with the solution. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then put some flexible hose on the outlet nozzle. Run that hose to a safe drainage area. Then use your garden hose to flush the solution out of the chiller. No pump needed.

UPDATE 6/28/2011--- We just verified that First Appliance Repair no longer works on aquarium chillers. We are looking for a new repair shop but we hear not many will work on them.

Back