Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1. get a shot glass
2. pour a glass of chilled vodka
3. drink
4. repeat if necessary
5. putt 1 tbs of kalk powder in glass
6. putt 1 tbs of water in glass
7. mix
8. microwave (20-30 seconds, should be very hot)
9. mix (should be consistency of yogurt, can add more powder/water to get consistency right)
10. suck up into syringe (Walgreen's gives these away with prescriptions)
11. coat pest with supper hot kalk yogurt
12. kalk yogurt will cover pest and bond to rock sealing and killing.

I use to use Joes Juice (it works). This method is less expensive and IMO more effective. I wiped the pest out of my system with this method. Haven't seen them in almost a year now.
Jason

Last edited:
I think that when you nuke it for as much as 20-30 seconds it may stay in a thicker solution longer.
Sally at Garf told me that years ago and I believe that it helps.
Also a raccoon butterfly eats them, along with every other frilly topped coral in your tank.lol

The heating serves a couple purposes. The heat helps kill the pest. It also helps in the mixing. It gives the mix a better consistency to suck up in a syringe. It also seems to bond better. When the heated mixture hits the rock it instantly bonds. Less kalk is lost into water column.

Just some observations....

Paste will do the trick too.... I actually prefer tequila... The vodka might be a little more reef friendly :)

A small hypo filled with very hot water, even boiling, squirted on pest anemones kills them on contact. Takes very little. Brenden suggested a turkey baster, I found that a small curved tip dental hypo is more precise. Joes Juice works great too if not directly against another critter or coral. Cleaned up over 100 in no time at all. Haven't seen another for weeks.

Back