Majestic Angels

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Detri

I was wondering if anyone had experience with them? By the time I get one I will have no other fish its shape or size. It will be the last fish I get, if I get it.

I have now:

Lawnmower Blenny
3 A. Ocellaris
5 Chromis
1 Cleaner Wrasse

1 Naso Tang that I am trying to catch so he can go to his new 500g home.

I am willing to take a chance at coral nipping. I have very little and do hope that it can maybe keep my Zoo's at bay in the future.

I don't have any experience with them, but is a neat looking fish! Should bring some nice color to your tank Ron if you get him...:)

My experience has been very little with them but I did have a few in the LFS I ran for a while. Very pretty really neat fish, I kept them in the 150G tanks for the swiming room and the extra stability of those tanks over the others that were in the store. I had some Damsels, if i remember correctly 3-4 Chromis in that tank and I have seen them with cleaner wrasse's. I could not tell you one way or another though with the Blenny, Ocellaris, or Tang. There is a fair amount of information on the web about how they should do with those types of fish though.

I wish you the best of luck with them, they are extreamly beautiful.

as with most angels they won't just nip they will eat them up eventually. Angels also get big, aggressive and IMO best for a large FO tank, although beautiful. If your set on the fish study up on them completely first my best suggestion.

The LFS has two large ones, in the same tank. They interact, and are just fine with a large number of stoney and LPS corals. That is just it, you just never ever ever ever really know. I have a blue face in my reef, zero intrest in anything except zoos. He eats them like popcorn. I have two emperors in other reefs, one likes zoos and open brains, the other just zoos. I am sure there are people that have blue faces, emperor, and majestics that eat coral, and people that dont. Its just a up in the air thing. Thats all I can share with you.

I have had 2 of them: one died in quarentine, and the other was so bagered by a yellow tang half its size that it died a month after I put it in the tank. If I ever get another one, it will be the first fish I put in the tank. I also think there are issues on how they are collected which could account for my bad luck.

Thanks, this is why I asked. I have read alot about them. I find that most people have there own opinions thats why I asked :)

I am up in the air about it though. Still.

I have on in my tank and it nips at things a little, but not much. Mainly just a pig at feeding time. Great looking fish. I love mine as it's the showpiece in my tank.

Funny this thread should show up now. Here is a picture I took last of my friends P. navarchus last night. Sorry for the poor quality but it was moving too fast and my battery went dead right after this shot :( It has behaved quite well so far. Of the large angels it is one of the smallest types and one of the best for reef tanks. I almost put it in the 450 at the store. John has it in a 180. He lives 4 houses from the store so he pretty much has every coral I own in with it :D

Although no fish is 100% reef-safe if you just have to have one of the large angels this one is the best choice (IMO).

Regards,
Kevin

If I understand correctly the blueface and the majestic are very closely related and even capable of interbreeding with viable young.

i have a queen in my reef tank and he doesnt touch any of the corals but loves sponge. i have talked to people that have had large angels destroy reefs so maybe i just got lucky.

the Navarchus is a great choice. I love that color.

Kevin, that's a nice one of your friends in the middle of changing into adult coloration.

Best,
Ilham

Based on the response I have gotten here and the more I have read about them. I decided I would get one.

Here are a few pics of the fish in my tank.

Elmo18 said:
Well that was fast Ron ;)

Best,
Ilham

Kinda helps that I can almost walk there. But, a few people that have bought one from the same LFS has had great success. I thought I would take the plunge. Besides if I was going to do it today. I needed to get back and acclimate before the lights came on :)

Kevin, that's a nice one of your friends in the middle of changing into adult coloration.

I try to get them as young as possible. I would prefer juveniles 1.5 - 2" size but they are almost impossible to get. The juveniles adapt to tank life much better and take to prepared foods quickly. It is also interesting to watch them change into an adult.

That is a great looking specimen! Hope it behaves well.

Regards,
Kevin

This is my Majestic Angel which Ive had for almost two years now. I recieved him from Kevin as well.

He has never nipped or touched anything in my tank and is probably the the most well behaved fish in my tank. Only problem I have ever had with him is that for a day, every five or six months, he lets the other two Angels know their place in line and thats only if he doesn't have to go out of his way to do so. Other then that, he is the model citizen.

Back