Making a stand and canopy for an 85 gallon hex

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

koyoteturtle

sargasm fish
I was curious as to wether anyone had any information on this.
I would like to build this myself, and I cant find anything.HHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
Thanks, anything would be appreaciated.

Hmmm....Well, I don't know of anywhere that has actual plans to go by for you to build one, but are you mainly concerned with the whole thing (like you have absolutely no idea where to start) or are you just stuck on what angle you will have to set the saw to to cut the wood to give you a hexagon?
In any event, if it were me building a basic stand just to hold the tank on and nothing more (just something basic) I'd probably do this...

(1) I'd cut out the exact shape of the tank on a piece of wood which would give you basically a piece of wood that looks like a hexagon. To make it easy, you could probably just rest the tank on the wood and trace it and then cut it from there which would leave you with a piece like attachemt 1. You'll need 2 of them. One for the top for the tank to sit on and one for the bottom

(2) Next, to block in all the sides and keep a perfect hexagonal shape, you will have to set the saw to I believe it is 60 degrees and cut your pieces from there which will give you pieces like attachment 2 that you would screw in between the top and bottom. Then you could probably just re-inforce it with some 2x4 on the inside.

Just a thought...Never built one so just tossing out some idea that popped in my head until someone with more knowledge or a diagram chimes in. Good luck!:)

I agree but it would be a 30 degree cut since 2 cuts are making up each 60 degree angle.

30 degree cut since 2 cuts are making up each 60 degree angle

But you would be making a 120 degree angle. The 2 cuts together would be 60 degrees each:)

Last edited:
Since the board/blade is already 90. I mean 30 degrees in or out depending on the board position. Technically it would be 60 or 120. All in how you look at it. I think he gets the idea.

Last edited:
You guys need to get on the same page... I believe one is talking angle from vertical and the other angle from saw table. Bottom line if you can't figure that out then you probably shouldn't be operating a table saw... ha ha.

No offense but I found this thread humorous.

Thanks for nothing. Wish you would have told me that when I still had 5 fingers.

Bandaids, pants down, and a razor...

...are you jewish?

oh, ya its 60deg. :lol:

touche' krish (i thought that was buried)

but when you are my age you better be ready to rise to the occasion. Seriously... this pic was obviously after another 'to die for' dinner by my girlfriend. If you are ever in the neighborhood I dare you to join us!

ummmmmm

OK all, thanks,. I was trying to get plans for the whole stand, but this is an exellent start, and will go a long way in bigger picture, thank you, if anybody else has any ideas, feel free..................

And thanks for the pictures, I'll figure it out. Dont know bout the pants fella, nice lights though:lol:

touche' krish (i thought that was buried)

but when you are my age you better be ready to rise to the occasion. Seriously... this pic was obviously after another 'to die for' dinner by my girlfriend. If you are ever in the neighborhood I dare you to join us!

ROFL! No thanks and not "touche" here either:) I just figured since you wanted to make fun of a thread for people attempting to help out another member instead offering some advice, I'd play along.:badgrin: I'm glad our attempts seemed to have helped and got the ball rolling;)

Previously posted by Koyoteturtle
but this is an exellent start, and will go a long way in bigger picture, thank you, if anybody else has any ideas, feel free..................

Previously posted by Koyoteturtle
And thanks for the pictures, I'll figure it out

Last edited:
Back