Making reef-ready stands...need imput.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zen Reeferer

Hello, I've been making custom trinket boxes (among other things) from exotic hardwoods for a while now, and want to try making something new...
I'm going to start out making Bio-Cube size tank stands. I'll make larger stands when I get comfortable with the small ones, but am looking for some help before I begin...

If you were in need of a new stand...
1. How tall would YOU like YOUR stand? (too tall requires a step-stool to reach bottom of tank, too short and you walk with a stoop, or have sore knees)
2. Would you prefer the stand to fit tank dimensions exactly, or have a larger top for elbows, magnifying glasses, Anthony, Kevin, Steve, Boomer or Barry's latest books...(larger top = larger base. Larger base = more refugium and equipment space below)
3. Matching canopy a necessity, desireable, or not necessary?
4. Price or quality...which weighs more?

Or if there is anything you like or don't like about your current stand or stands in general, I'd like to hear that, too.

I really appreciate any imput I can get. Thank you very much...James

I like a tall stand that is easy to work in and i also like a wide so taht i can fit all of my equipment in ther instead of having stuff sit out side of the stand. I also like a stand that allows the tank to sit inside of it instead of ontop of it. Only because a lot of times the woods do not match each other and it looks kinda stupid. I believe a matching canopy looks beautiful especially if there is a lot of trim and wood work involved. To me quality weighs way more than price. To me i see no point in sinking a ton of money into my livestock if and making just the aquarium look beautiful. I want the whole thing to look beautiful.

Hope this helps you. I really love the way all-glass made my stand even though they discontinued it i loved it! You can see it under the thread titled "my 210 gallon FOWLR". I love the color and the craftsmanship of it.

My concern with stands would be hight. need to fit a skimmer that is appropriate for the tank size. also price. not too exspensive as custom woodwork can be.

I like the top rim of the tank to be at eye ball height. I'm dead average male at 5'10", so my eyes are probably... what? 5'4"-ish? That's 64", minus a standard 24" tall tank, is 40". For some reason, that sounds high. I dunno. A friend's 30" is definitely too short.

A wider "sill" around the tank is awesome. It's a place to put all your crap when maintaining, a place for your elbows when staring, and a place for drinks when entertaining. However, I prefer this to be a sill, not just a larger stand. I like the shelf. Check out a local club member's pseudo-in-wall. I love the shelf.

attachment.php

Canopy has to match, or not exist. This is not optional. Why would you have mismatched furniture!?

Price will probably be a bigger factor than quality for most, but I prefer to buy furniture just once, and buy it right. I prefer real hardwoods, and hate MDF. I'm willing to pay for something that I KNOW will hold the weight, and can handle moisture. I'm putting serious consideration into having a metal stand fabricated, then putting a wooden "cover" over it.

And can someone PLEASE make a tank stand in mission style?! Oceanic has one that's close, but it's still not right. I want REAL MISSION STYLE, stained in red oak. :)

UPS says my stainless steel screws should be here tomorrow. Already got the marine varnish and the hardwoods. (altho still deciding which hardwoods to use)
Was considdering adding a drawer, but don't want to take up valuable equipment space.

Which would y'all prefer...a bit larger stand or perhaps a matching "chiller cabinet" for maintenance, chiller and testing stuff?

This is way early, but gloss or semi-gloss?

Looks like I'm going to start out making two stands. Cherry with Padauk trim (Padauk is Googleable and pronounced puh-dook) and one Maple with Walnut trim. (subject to change without notice, lol)
Looking forward to getting started.

Zen,
Looking at your work with the trinket boxes the stand should look like amazing peice of art once your complete. Keep us updated.

I like my stands pretty low so I can work on it easily an also it makes it easier (or should I say) more enjoyable for me to look at. I'm only 5ft 6inch so I usually do my stands around 30 inches. If the tank is an All-glass tank with the molding around the top and bottom, I build the stand so I can't see it (the tank drops into the stand and the canopy drops over the top), that way I won't have a "clash" of colors between the molding and the stand. I also like balance so I prefer to have my doors of the canopy matching the doors of the stand. :)

Best of luck with your project:)

On my stands I build a supporting frame from 2x4's then face it with the hard wood to cut on cost. heights are 32 on the 100gal (red oak) and 24 on the 30gal (redwood) the 30 I had precut stuff leftover from a spa cabinet so that is why it is that low - was a quick build few hours. My salts are in wall. I like the tank to sit in the cabinet as far as the plastic frame so you can only see the wood then it doesn't matter if you have black, woodgrain whatever for the tank frame. My in wall frame is inset about 2.25 inches and is .25inches above the plastic on the tank.

James...Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate it. Will show progress here as I go.
Brian...Any pix of you in-wall tanks, or stands??
Wife and I decided to put another wall at the other end of our breezeway. (did I mention I work outside, in so. Nevada? 40 mph winds, 110 degrees daily)
Shoot...my Photobucket is full for the month I guess, won't let me upload any pix.
Here's a link to the pix of the workshop. Zen's Workshop
Will figure-out and remedy my Photobucket problem, and like I said, I'll post pictures of my progress on the stands here in the forums.
Thanks again everyone for the imput.

Yes in my photo gallery here I have some early shots fron 2.5 yrs ago when I started - here this is easier - should get some of now I guess - looks so clean I will have to search for the stand but maybe take a new one. Will have to photshop them down a bit I have a quickie built 55gal stand (2x4 stained) open - the 39 (redwood) stand which is just the bottom and the 100 which is (red oak) top and bottom.

Last edited:
Here - The first is my trusty helper - supervises all projects:cool: - second is the 39gal third is the 100 fourth is 55 cheapy last is a really clean behind the tanks - wow better not show you what it looks like now:lol:
Love the clam/godzilla pic - lawnmowers are cool - Where on earth do you pick up such cool wood?? here it is just what is at home depot or lowes - used to have a Heckingers that had a real nice uniform tight grain wood called something like Viola. I relly liked it.

Last edited:
Yeah, the blenny was our favorite fish. Loads of personality. LFS said he'd be fine in our 26 gallon tank, but it only took him 3 days to completely clean the tanks algae. Spent the next month trying everything folks could come up with to feed him, but he just wouldn't eat. Once we decided to take him back to the lfs, they said "sorry, didn't you hear??? We're going out of business". If they wern't the only lfs in town, I'd say good riddance. On more than one occation they sold stuff to us knowing that it wouldn't survive.

Anyway, your shots look great, a good reference point. I have to go in to Las Vegas for my hardwoods. It's just over an hour away, but worth the drive. Only wood here in town is the Ace Hardware store which carries grade 2 construction lumber. YUCK.

thinking about what you said b4, i would like the front of the stand to look just like the rear.......... 2 door both sides the same, so i would have turned to tank side ways so i can see both sides

Here's my stand....it's only 31" tall but the whole setup is just over 6' tall by
7' wide. The right side is 2ft wide and makes a nice little hiding place for oall my other stuff. It is all 2x4 construction, and is wrapped in cherry. It's got a small prop area above the high quality rubbermaid fuge. Pay no attention to all the wires running ever which way.

All closed up
tankstand002.jpg

doors open
tankstand003.jpg

When I really need to work in the tank the whole canopy flips up and locks into place.
tankstand004.jpg

Back