Making your own saltwater.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

newlyreefd

I read on a few forums that you need to keep your saltwater aerated. Especially if you use a brand that has additives, such as Cal and Alk. I plan on using IO reef crystals. Does this brand of salt require aerating and if so, do I need to use an air stone? Or is a pump good enough? Thanks.

Its organics you need to concern yourself with, not cal and Alk, and I think you are safe on that front with IO, but I would be if you did a search, Randy probably has a list. (If I remember right, he didn't think it was that big a deal either way)
Since I don't add salt until the night before, I've never concerned myself with it. If you are mixing ahead of time, you may want to keep an eye on the Alk numbers though as they can drop when mixing too long....

Yes let ur new mixed sw mix for 24hrs with a pump. A heater is good too but my pump heats the water lol.

Not.organics but chlorine. U want oxygenated water and correct temp and salinity.
Chlorine disapates through o2.

Ph will b a bit low in new sw but alk wont or shouldn't lower.
Alk is eaten by rock, coralline, or stony corals.
Hths
D

Yes let ur new mixed sw mix for 24hrs with a pump. A heater is good too but my pump heats the water lol.

Not.organics but chlorine. U want oxygenated water and correct temp and salinity.
Chlorine disapates through o2.

Ph will b a bit low in new sw but alk wont or shouldn't lower.
Alk is eaten by rock, coralline, or stony corals.
Hths
D

Devin, you are right on the alk, too early in the morning, and I was thinking about temp at mixing.. (problem with RSCP) but 'Organics' can be a problem in salts that contain vitamins... reality is, just best to keep them stirred/mixing..

Back