male bluetrhoat in reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

I was interested in a blue throat trigger fish and wandering how reef safe they are. I know they are supposed to be but just how reef safe is what I need to know. will he eat my cleaner shrimp? or any other small inverts/clams?

any one with experience please let me know!!!

Matt

Scott has a blue throat who hasn't done anything but be cute! He doesn't have any shrimp in there however, but he doesnt bother corals or snails at all. Has a lot of personality especially when I'm waving the small blue net with food in it, he will try to take it away from me.. :)

Jason,
Thanks for the link, it does help ease my mind a bit.

Colleen,
I am glad you enjoy yours!
I am sure they are a fun fish to have. I still love my Naso though!!!!!

Matt

Sounds like a cool fish. Might be something I might look at for my tank.
I'm a little concerned about the full adult size.

Well I went and picked up my Bluethroat yesterday I didnt finish acclimating him till 10 pm so I dont have any pics yet. I will try to post some later on today!!

Matt

Well after spending 3 hrs acclimating my trigger he was out swimming and looking good for the last 2 hrs of the lights on but the next 2 days I have not seen him once I fear he may be dead but at the same time I have read that they hide a lot when first introduced into a new tank.
do you think I should be concerned yet or give it a few days???

Matt

Charlie I will keep my sprits up for a few days then, but I do fear he didnt make it. I dont know what would have gone wrong though. I will keep you posted...

Matt

hey matt, i am looking at getting a bluethroat for my 240. could i ask you where you got it?

by the way, hope he comes through for you!

Hey Matt,
I agree with others. My Bluethroat was very skittish and shy for first couple of weeks. He didn't eat for nearly a week. They will find a small nitch in the rock to hide in and also wedge into to sleep.
Best of luck, Scott

AHHHHH!!!!

I found him, He was just hidding like we all thought
WOOHOO!!!

I will try and get pics but might be a while!!:)

Matt

Well he came out to eat and I ran upstairs to get my camera and got lucky here is the one shot I was able to get!

Matt

Back