Mandarin Goby pairing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

07FocusST

Hey everyone.

I have a new 180G reef setup and all is well. I have owned a Green Mandarin (Male) for quite sometime now. The other day I went to the LFS and found (what I believe to be) a Female Green Mandarin.

She is a little smaller than my Male, and has a short dorsal spine. I was originally under the impression that the females do not have a dorsal spine.

Anyway, tonight being night 3 of the two Mandarins in my 180G I noticed after the lights were out that the two were pretty close to each other. They were jumping at each other to scare the other away and my male was displaying his huge spine. They would grab each others fins by the mouth and not let go which created small tears in their fins.

My question: Is this normal behavior for new Mandarins? Maybe they are like clownfish pairing up were there is a small amount of squabble before they are together. I just don't want to end up with one dead mandarin but don't want to give up on them getting along either...

Input would be great!!!!

I have never seen a pair react the way you are describing. I would be suspicious you have two males.....Watch closely

Dammit! That's Exactly what I didn't want to hear... Anyone want him? $10 and he's all yours! Willing to meet 1/2 of reasonable distance

Back