Mangroves

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

salmonslayer

UP ALL NIGHT
Any know if you can cut back a mangrove plant. It is in my sump and growing to close to the light (no room to take light higher) burning leaf tip's. Thanks

Any know if you can cut back a mangrove plant. It is in my sump and growing to close to the light (no room to take light higher) burning leaf tip's. Thanks

I read that you can pick all but one or so leaves off them and they will be just fine. leave a small leaf, or at least a green bud on the stalk. hope this helps, I also am planing some mangrove's in my sump / refug also. ;)

Steve

i just bought some stage 4 (10" stem with two leaves) mangroves from hawaii and are slowly acclimating into the saltwater. how fast did you acclimate yours? where did you place them in your tank?

i just bought some stage 4 (10" stem with two leaves) mangroves from hawaii and are slowly acclimating into the saltwater. how fast did you acclimate yours? where did you place them in your tank?

I put mine in my sump and even some in my nano. I read some where that it takes a lot of them to do much good but I figure 1 or 20 is better then nothing. As far as acclimating all I did was put them in a bowl and started with 10-1 fresh water and salt water. Each day or when I would remember I would take a little water out and put some more water in from my Tank. I did this for about 3 weeks. They are very hardy and have been doing great for 4 months so far. BTW they are very cheap on EBAY

i acclimated the mangroves the same way but took about 4 weeks. placed them inside my main tank with the stems half way. problem is they were doing good for a month and then it got hotter inside my closed canopy due to the warmer weather were having and the 2 250watt 10,000k halides. 2 out of the 10 now are brown at the top. since then got a chiller from roscoe on reef frontiers and been steadily getting a tank temp of 79 degrees.
are they considered dead or are they still alive? also, do you put your mangroves all the way down into the water with the leaves sticking out in the air; or half way? i've bought a magnesium test kit and have been keeping the level around 1290ppm. what magnesium level do you keep yours? i spray freshwater on the leaves everynight to flush the saltwater but i noticed a little yellowing on some of the mangrove leaves. 1 mangrove grew 2 leaves since. how fast do leaves reproduce? took about 2 months for 1 mangrove to produce leaves. thanks for your experience in advance..

i acclimated the mangroves the same way but took about 4 weeks. placed them inside my main tank with the stems half way. problem is they were doing good for a month and then it got hotter inside my closed canopy due to the warmer weather were having and the 2 250watt 10,000k halides. 2 out of the 10 now are brown at the top. since then got a chiller from roscoe on reef frontiers and been steadily getting a tank temp of 79 degrees.
are they considered dead or are they still alive? also, do you put your mangroves all the way down into the water with the leaves sticking out in the air; or half way? i've bought a magnesium test kit and have been keeping the level around 1290ppm. what magnesium level do you keep yours? i spray freshwater on the leaves everynight to flush the saltwater but i noticed a little yellowing on some of the mangrove leaves. 1 mangrove grew 2 leaves since. how fast do leaves reproduce? took about 2 months for 1 mangrove to produce leaves. thanks for your experience in advance..

i am no expert by any means but I will tell you these thing are tough to kill. I have 4 of them in my 12gal nano with the lid closed down on them with little light and they still grow. I have 6 of them in a HOB cpr refug with a light next to them not buried just hanging out of the water with bare roots in the water and they are growing leaves and the roots are getting long. I did have some turn brown at first but they came back to life in a few weeks. I've had them for about 4 months. I've even had one floating in my sump growing leaves and roots. These things are tough. I wish my fish were this tough.

do you do any special requirements for your mangroves?

Treat them like a hose plant. They are a nice looking addition to a refugium or even make a nice plant setup and plumbed next to a tank. Other than that they really dont do much, but like I said they look nice compared to alot of other plants.

Don

Back