manifold alternative?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Osse

Hey Now Anthony,

Ok so after reading through many of your great thoughts on manifolds and how proper water circulation may very well make or break a reef tank...I have tried to employ a type of water circulation such as a manifold without actually constructing a manifold. My reason for not constructing one is simple...I am a bit intimidated at the idea. Anyhow my reef is a 40 breeder DSB. I am thinking...(hoping you can clarify) that what I have set up will perform just like a manifold.
In the far back left of the tank I have a marineland penguin 330 running stripped of its biowheel and filter pads just holding my carbon bag. So that is two water outputs that streatches about 12 inches to the middle of the tank. Also in the far left corner I have a maxi 1200 pointing so its current is flowing directly under the penguin 330. Directly in the middle of the tank to the right of the penguin I have my return from the sump which is pumping at 300gph...which is facing directly at the maxi 1200 in the left corner. So both the maxi and return are hitting each other directly underneath where the penguin 330 spills over 12 inches across. To the right of the retunr is the overflow box and to the right of the overflow box in the far right corner i have another maxi 1200 angled so its shotting over right in front of the overflow box.
What do you think of this setup? whew...hehee...hopefully you can picture that in your head. MAybe I can try to get a picture up. So what do you think...close to a manifold for a 40 breeder?

thanks!

take care,
Jared

no worries... for smaller aquaria, its understood that a CLM is rather involved (drilling, plumbing) and may well not be the best option.

Our goal here is to have very good water flow overall in thge aquarium as well as being able to fine tune control it as needed (as when dead spots are noticed, cyano forms, etc)

I'd say that if you can slide these water moving devices enough laterally as needed to give yourself some variety and change of flow... then its a fine solution by me :)

Back