Marine Injurys....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mercenary-grunt

As some of you know i am a PADI Divemaster (#281635). I don't know if enough people know what to do if their animal has caused an injury to them. thus prompted this thread.

Disclaimer: I am not with you and can not determine the extent of the injury or able to provide any expert help, if at anytime you think that it might be slightly bad, GO TO THE DOCTOR! Some venomous poisonings may require a antidote.
With that said you may want to go to the dr. anyways.

So lets get into the goods, eh.

The following will be how to help then what for. Please note that some have multiple first aid requirements.

Pressure Immobilization:

• Sea snake bite
  • Cone shell
  • Blue ringed octopus
  • Sea wasp (box jellyfish)

Hot water 110F-120F: tap water is fine.

• Stonefish
  • Scorpionfish
  • Stingray
  • Sea Urchin
  • Lionfish
  • Other Fish spines I.E. Rabbitfish

Vinegar/Household ammonia: (diluted 3 parts water/ 1 part ammonia), saltwater works too.
  • Jellyfish
  • Bristle worms
  • Fire coral
Anti-venom:
  • Sea snake
  • Sea wasp (Box jellyfish)
  • Stonefish
Basic life support and CPR:
  • Any severe marine injury

Sea urchin spines are prone to infection.

Any stings or punctures by animal needs to be made sure that the spines, barbs, tentacles and stingers need to be removed by forceps or other tools (I.E. not bare hands your hands can get stung).

When stung with venom soak in hot water until pain subsides cool with dry ice pack that is not wet. then repeat as necessary.

The Blue Ringed Octopus immobilize the limb apply pressure. Get to the dr. as fast as you can. if alone ambulance. The venom of the B.R.O. is Tetrodotoxin. same paralytic toxin found in pufferfish.

There are some folklore that can possibly be dangerus or not work. do not urinate on injury site, incision of fish sting and snakebite wounds to drain site, applying oil or gasoline to site, appling oxidizing agents ie; strong alkais or acidic substances.

Any questions comments or concerns let me know and ill see what i can find out.:boxing:

Hey! Thanks for the post/heads up and have thought about this many times as we Reefkeeping Hobbiest are probably more prone to stick our fingers/faces in places of the Reef where others would not. Even on my recent trip to Oahu collecting with Les I picked up a few large snails and a Undulated Morey , then thought maybe I shouldn't pick things up that I do not know exactly what they are... So anyway, thanks again for posting.

Cheers, Todd

Hey! Thanks for the post/heads up and have thought about this many times as we Reefkeeping Hobbiest are probably more prone to stick our fingers/faces in places of the Reef where others would not. Even on my recent trip to Oahu collecting with Les I picked up a few large snails and a Undulated Morey , then thought maybe I shouldn't pick things up that I do not know exactly what they are... So anyway, thanks again for posting.

Cheers, Todd

lol yeah. ive thought obout this too. along with how one of the fish we generally lean twords are lionfish/ stonefish. dragonettes are also one not to mess with alot. if i remember right they are poisones too. but remember that most of the time creatures need to be provoked to attack. accept threoreticly sharks, they still need provocation, in my book.

and no worries jrgilles

Nic info! :)

While diving here, I jumped into a patch of man-o-wars. Jacked me up really bad with muscle spasms, votmiting etc. I ended up having to get an injection. Then I rubbed up against fire coral and had almost the same side effects resulting in an injection. Guess we'll see what's next on the list!

A trick I learned from locals in LaPaz Mex when I walked into a swarm of jellyfish tenticles, lemon juice also works well in a pinch.
The citric acid in the juice albeit a lower concentration, has a low enough Ph to do the job

I have always wondered how Ammonia works on these toxins. Some falsely attribute it as an acid, but it is a strong base. Must break the actual toxin chemical down thrugh reduction of some sort similar to alcohol.

Vinegar/Household ammonia: (diluted 3 parts water/ 1 part ammonia), saltwater works too.
•Jellyfish
•Bristle worms
•Fire coral

A trick I learned from locals in LaPaz Mex when I walked into a swarm of jellyfish tenticles, lemon juice also works well in a pinch.The citric acid in the juice albeit a lower concentration, has a low enough Ph to do the jobI have always wondered how Ammonia works on these toxins. Some falsely attribute it as an acid, but it is a strong base. Must break the actual toxin chemical down thrugh reduction of some sort similar to alcohol.Vinegar/Household ammonia: (diluted 3 parts water/ 1 part ammonia), saltwater works too. •Jellyfish•Bristle worms•Fire coral
Good idea on the lemons ill keep that in mind and ill have to look into the ammonia.

You use lemons here and go out in the sun and you'll end up with lime burn. That will leave a mark for a few months! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wierd and awsome. btw off topic i went to the bahamas 2 years ago. did about 20 dives in 5 days ish. with caribbian divers out of freeport. my dad went on a week long liveabourd with blackbeards out of freeport. sorry you probably get that alot. i loved being in the bahamas. if i ever decide to leave the USA for good that is where ill go. sorry but i have to ask if you have ever heard of terri goldsmith?? he took the bahama nationals in boxing. and now does a lot of volinteer work. he runs the bahama heart association.

No never heard of him. :oops:. I was actually born in Freeport, but moved to Nassau (New Providence) which is the capital. A lot better beaches and dive spots here. If you go to the link in my signature you can see quite a bit of Nassau in there. Can't wait for the water to warm up to jump back in!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was looking at your log a little bit ago. and saw a bunch from the atlantis hotel. then got worried that you really dont live there. and the water is worm, what are you talking about. i bet its about 65F at least. maybe wormer.

Back