I also had 5 astera snails and now i have 3
the hermit has killed 2 asteras
is he not compatible with snails
or just looking for a new shell
he also killed a smill red leg hermit in my tank
here is a pic
55gallontank037.jpg

Last edited:
that hermit will eat anything it can get ahold of including fish, even large fish like tangs and angels. they are oppurtunistic feeders and will eat anything in their path.. Ohh and one of its natural foods is anemones...

Matt

Agree, I had one that would eat/kill ANYTHING that he could catch. He went on on permanent vacation to the LFS

Great for a FO tank....with BIG fish...BAD for a reef tank. I happen to have one in my QT tank with a bunch of nassarius and a few astrea snails. There's also a Chocolate Chip starfish in there. I wouldn't have the large hermit or the CC starfish if it weren't for the fact that I got a bunch of live rock CHEAP and had to take them as part of the package. So far, the large hermit hasn't bothered the CC Starfish or the small nassarius or astrea snails. I think it's because they're so much smaller than it is. It's going to a LFS soon for their Fish Only tank. I suppose you could throw it in a sump. Mine seems to eat detritus with relish.....the kind made from sweet pickles!!

Oh I had one of those too when I was FO....it made me less and less FO...ate my flame angel and some snails

Gaby is our crabs expert. Maybe she will post soon.

Back