Maxi-Jet mod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JimDandy

I've see all the Maxi-Jet modifications on these forums that increase the flow rate from these powerful pumps but I'd only like to mod my Maxi-Jet to change the flow from a pinpoint to the larger stream type flow only, and not make the pump more powerful.

Can anyone suggest how to mod these pumps for the broad flow only, and not the increase in flow rate?

Do a search on "eductor", which increases the flow at the expense of velocity. I am not sure that a maxi-jet has enough pressure to make it effective, though.

i here hydro koralia 4 puts out 1200gph at a wide spread i think i would go with that before spending anymore money on a maxi jet

i here hydro koralia 4 puts out 1200gph at a wide spread i think i would go with that before spending anymore money on a maxi jet
they also have 1 2 and 3 models to for less flow, they start at 400 gph to 1200 gph so you have a little bit of a choice

they also have 1 2 and 3 models to for less flow, they start at 400 gph to 1200 gph so you have a little bit of a choice
they also use a magnet to attach to the glass, like a mag float, instead of suction cups it works much better

But that's not exatly what the poster was asking for was it. By the way, if needed you can mod a MJ into a stream pump that puts out WAY more flow than the Koralia 4. But more flow is not what the poster wanted.

D.

But that's not exatly what the poster was asking for was it. By the way, if needed you can mod a MJ into a stream pump that puts out WAY more flow than the Koralia 4. But more flow is not what the poster wanted.

D.
i also sugested the 1,2,and3 models too that put out a wider spread at less flow, no it is not a mod but might be easier in the long run

just use a smaller prop, i think that'll give you less flow i have a feeling it'll feel really weak though if you use too small and i don't know what size you'd have to use to get similar flow, but speed is good too in some situations

The smallest propeller I've seen is a 1 inch diameter Dumas. The problem is the shaft hole is also smaller (1/8") so in order to fit that over the rigid tubing you would need to drill it out to 3/16"

Now here's the challenge, there isn't much meat on that propeller so if you're not really careful you will rip the prop apart drilling out the shaft hole.

Even with the 1 inch prop though, the flow will still be more than the stock MJ's 295gph.

D.

Back