Mechanical filtration

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lshin037

I have a 55g (FO) that's been setup for a little over a month. The setup is as follows:
- DSB (4.5 in)
- DIY skimmer (counter-current)
- DIY wet/dry and sump
- DIY refugium (chaeto)

Inside the wet/dry, I have filter floss on top for mechanical filtration and bio-balls on the bottom for biological filtration. Reading through the many posts here, I've decided to remove the bioballs and filter floss to prevent nitrate buildup. The filter floss is the only mechanical filtration I have. What is another method of mechanical filtration? Or is one needed?
Thanks in advance.

A BIG WELCOME TO YOU!!!

I try to refraine from just providing reference links but you will find excellent information laid out constructively on this thread:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670

On occasion despite high flow and skimming, particulate matter and or water coloration become undesireably visible. This is where mechanical filtration can come in handy.

I personally use felt filter bags (100 micron) when I want to clear things up in addition to a cannister filter with carbon and phosphate media. I do not reccomend using bags continously as unchecked they will become more of a problem then a solution.

Last edited:
I would say to keep the filter floss on your wet/dry, but replace it regularly. You don't have to go with the expensive stuff. Our fabric store (here in the Bahamas) sells something called dacron or batton (if they are spellled correctly) and what it is, is basically a flat sheet of material similar to cotton, which comes on about a 3ft roll and is sold by the yard. I pay about $3.00 a yard and it can last a very very long time. I just change mine every other day and the good thing about it is it is white so you can tell when it is dirty a lot easier. The problem I see with removing the floss from your sump is whatever dirt/ditritus etc. get into your sump, will be returned back into the tank, which means it will still be in your system.

The problem with add on mechanical filters is people have a tendancy to leave the filter pad/sleeve in their for a month at a time. The reason why, is because these pads are more expensive and changing them daily can become a headache as some require you to pull them right down to replace (thus the reason I don't use sleeve in my magnum350 cannister, just charcoal). I guess another "negative" thing about mechanical add on filters is you will never find one that will have half as much turnover as most sumps do. Mechanical filters like Marinelands Emperor280 only flows 280ghp, whereas you have most sumps averaging 500+ gph. What this means is your sump will be seeing more water per hour than any other filter in your system making it theoretically a better place to perform mechanical filtration via a pad. With most power filters the intakes are so small that dirt almost has to be directly pushed into it or it will just pass it by with all of the flow usually associated with saltwater setups.

I'm not saying power filters are bad for mechanical filtration as they can help out a system quite a bit in removing ditritus. It's just, IMO, I'd rather spent the money on something more useful than something that can become more of a pain and costly keeping clean, than beneficial. Just my 5 cents.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Do you have plans of making this tank a reef tank? Or will it strictly be a fish only tank? Do you have any live rock, too?

Welcome to RF. I am not a fan of bio balls but they are not as bad as people say they are. They work well in a fish only or FOWLR tanks but the maintenance is a pain. Having to take them out and clean them is just not worth it. I didn't know about the nitrate problems until I talked to someone from here in Richland and did some research on RF. Wow, what an eye opening experience. Filter floss is good but you should replace it often.

Welcome to RF, you are in good hands here!

The main problem with mechanical filtration these days is just that none of the Mfgs. seem to be interested, unless they can sell you their proprietary version of "replacement" cartridge or pad or whatever, at exorbatent prices. :mad:

You really should change your mechanical "media"? every "day or three", and so filter floss is the big winner for this ( including Krish75's recommendation or whatever ), but current filter designs don't often allow for this. Ever hear of "give them the razor and then sell them the blades"? :rolleyes:

Of course it should be very easy to change, so that you will do it often. Your overflow box is not a good place for this, unless you are very consistent and observant! :eek:

You'll figure something out, and these nice folks will help you.

Welcome again! > Wave98 :)

Back