Media Reactors?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chickenofthesea

Ok, so have ran carbon in my tank in the past and I understand the reasoning. I understand the different reasoning for running GFO and Phosban and Biopellets etc. The question I have is what is the real difference between all these different reactors? I mean I see pictures and there are different designs and ways to do it but what makes a phosban reactor phosban specific and a carbon reactor carbon specific and so on?

For the most part, its just market appeal.

When companies see "cone" skimmers get hot on the market, they make cone reactors.

At the end of the day they all have the same design. Tank water is pumped in, flowing through the media from top to bottom or vise versa.

There isn't really a difference. Biopellets can be ran in a phosban reactor. You don't need a biopellet specific reactor, but you may need to do some minor tuning to accommodate the biopellet media.

Last edited:
Hey Rapidfire, when you say minor tuning what do you mean? flow adjustments? Also, Has anyone heard of, or have experience with, Seachem's Purigen? The reason for these questions is I built a media reactor for my pico cause noone makes one small enough for my system yet and as I am looking I am seeing so many different types and wondering what is the difference and what media should I run? Originally I was just thinking carbon but then I see so many different media's and wonder, "hmm, should I run carbon or something else?". Just looking for some knowledge to make some educated choices.

Im not exactly sure but on another forum I saw a few people convert their reactors and they did something different with the mesh pads.

But I think you should be fine without any adjustments.

Got to disagree a little on some of that Rapid. I agree with you on the cone thing and in the case of a carbon reactor yea its just water through the unit. But the pellet and the GFO are different.

On the Pellet reactor you need to keep the pellets gently rolling and somewhat separated in the reactor. If you just run water through it the biofilm created from the bacteria will join the pellets together and the reactor will quickly go anaerobic and from their sulfuric. So when you are looking at buying one look for a unit that gently tumbles the pellets (not one that blows them all over the place) this will allow for the population of aerobic bacteria which will bid up both P and N for ya (make sure you feed that water into your skimmer so you can then export it).

On the GFO your dealing with micro particles and its the surface of those particles that ion exchange with P in your water. If you just have water running through it the water will just channel which is kind of a waste for the rest of the minerals surface and the other areas that could be working for you. SO for this one your looking for a reactor that slightly fluidizes the GFO so that are parts of the particles are exposed to the P in the water.

Hope it helps

Mojo-

Got to disagree a little on some of that Rapid. I agree with you on the cone thing and in the case of a carbon reactor yea its just water through the unit. But the pellet and the GFO are different.

On the Pellet reactor you need to keep the pellets gently rolling and somewhat separated in the reactor. If you just run water through it the biofilm created from the bacteria will join the pellets together and the reactor will quickly go anaerobic and from their sulfuric. So when you are looking at buying one look for a unit that gently tumbles the pellets (not one that blows them all over the place) this will allow for the population of aerobic bacteria which will bid up both P and N for ya (make sure you feed that water into your skimmer so you can then export it).

On the GFO your dealing with micro particles and its the surface of those particles that ion exchange with P in your water. If you just have water running through it the water will just channel which is kind of a waste for the rest of the minerals surface and the other areas that could be working for you. SO for this one your looking for a reactor that slightly fluidizes the GFO so that are parts of the particles are exposed to the P in the water.

Hope it helps

Mojo-

I was about to say that! You beat me to it.

I had just looked up a biopellet reactor when It hit me that I totally forgot about the "tumble" aspect of a biopellet reactor. I was about to edit my post and add that when I got the email that you posted it. Now thats freaky.

Thanks Mojo.

Ok, so translation is... because I'm not that smart... you need to control flow? I have an adjustable pump and I can design the plates how ever I need to, to get the desired affect. I have the tube mostly built and I can set up every thing else how ever I want, but I wanted to try and make a reactor that was flexible enought that with just a few replacement parts I could switch through different media until I found what works for me or incase I change dirrections. I mean, you don't really need a reactor until you know you need one right? This may seem very elementary to most but I have never ran a reactor before and see so many different types.

OK so you really need to know what each one does and how it does it then. Its not just a case of I have an issue and a reactor will fix it, each one does a certain thing and they all do it completely different. Also as with most things they all have things you need to watch for and beware of. I will post up a quick and dirty explanation for ya tomorrow if you want.

Mojo

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

That would be great, I did alot of things uninformed when I started this hobby and I have changed my ways. I really like to try and think things through and this whole thing started as a way to run carbon instead of in a bag but the more I do research the more I realize I don't know jack.

Back