megaflow bulkhead question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mungus

I am moving my sump to the basement and along with that I will be doing the plumbing with pvc. I have a mega flow accessory kit (standpipe bulkheads ect). I went to HD last night to find an adaptor that would go from the outer threads that are on the drain bulk head to slip pvc. I could not find anything that would turn on to those threads. The guy a HD said it was a wierd thread. Do I need to buy a different bulkhead or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks
Brian

Hmm...I would think HD would have it if anyone, but then again, I live in the Bahamas with no HD(LOL) I'd maybe contact All-glass about it to see what they suggest or just swap them out for something that you can find at HD that can help you accomplish what you are trying to without changing the overall diameter of the plumbing you are supposed to be using. HTH:) Good luck!

Isn't the outer threads for the nut to tighten the bulkhead fitting to the tank?
It seems to me as I look at a bulkhead fitting that it should be a slip fit, using the inside.

Isn't the outer threads for the nut to tighten the bulkhead fitting to the tank?
It seems to me as I look at a bulkhead fitting that it should be a slip fit, using the inside.

He's got a point Brian... I think that is how it is supposed to be to be honest. Unless you had something else in mind:)

finn said:

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Can I just glue standard pvc to the inside of the bulkhead or do I need something else in between? I am totally lost when it comes to pvc plumbing.

Thanks Brian

How you do the next step is going to determine how many headaches you give your self down the road. I'm assuming the tank is bottom drilled and this normally would be piped down through the top of the stand.
While you need to glue a pvc pipe on the inside of the bulkhead fitting, you need to create a breakable fitting that has threads just below the bulkhead fitting that you can unscrew, if you need to move the tank off of the stand.
If it is back drilled, ignore the above and use unions on the back.

Thanks for the help finn. It is a bottom drilled tank. I am thinking I would use a small piece of pvc then a ball valve and then a union then the main pvc pipe to the basement. Does this sound about right?

Thanks again

Brian

As long as the valve is threaded. You want to be able to pick your tank up off the stand without having to cut the pvc pipe. Or atleast leave enough room to cut the valve off and still be able to reglue another pvc fitting on that piece of pipe that you will glue to the bulkhead fitting.

Sounds like Finn's got you on the right track Brian:) Now get to plumbing and post those photos!(LOL) Good luck man...I know this idea has been in the works in terms of planning for a while.:)

Hey Brian, Check at Lowe's if you have one around you. They carry a ball valve/ union combo. It has a union on either side of the valve, so it would be no problem to remove the tank from the stand as long as the hole in the stand is large enough to allow the valve to pass thru. The person that originally plumbed my tank did not do that. My tank is permanatly attached to the stand. I will probably kick my self in the rear one of these days for not spending the extra money and fixing it while I had the chance.

Diesel

Try to get double union ball valves if you can with threaded ends. that way you can reuse the valve later. If you get a union ball valve with socket ends its a one time use item
BALL VALVES

Would be nice to be able to thread an adapter on to the outside of a bulkhead. But, as you now know its only used for the bulkhead nut

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys!! I got my pump on monday so I am slowly getting there. I have to get a couple rubbermaid garbage cans and a stock tank yet and then I am off to do the plumbing. I was at a guys house from WRS last night to see how his basement sump is setup and got alot of great ideas. (and a really cool red cap) I am no longer going to DIY a large sump but use the garbage cans in conjuction with the stock tank.

Krish75 said:
Now get to plumbing and post those photos!(LOL) Good luck man...I know this idea has been in the works in terms of planning for a while.

Krish it will probably be a few weeks before I get this all going but I will definately start a thread on it and post some pics. I am sure I will have a bunch of questions along the way.:lol: Thanks for the wish of Luck I am going to need it.

I did find a couple of online vendors that carry the union and double union ball valves. I will definately pick a few of these up.

Thanks
Brian

Back