Metal Halide Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

alison

*Alison*
I want to put halides on my tank, but I haven't the faintest how to mount them, or even how powerful I need them. I am putting them on a 38 gallon oceanic. It already has a hood, but only one mount for a bulb (which is completely useless to me). Also, how much will it cost/ Thanks.

I have a 250w metal halide over my 38gal now. I had a retro fit (reflector) mounted to my canopy, but I got a bulb wet and it cracked so I just bought a pendant. Here are a few photos of my setup and a link to how much everything costs if you go with what I have now. Either way, they can just screw right up into the canopy. You can see the retro fit reflector behind my canopy in the first attachment:)

Here's the pendant I bought which comes with the shell, the mogul based socket with the quick disconnect cable, and glass lens

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc..._Code=PFO-PENDANT&Category_Code=Pendantshells

Then all you'd need is a bulb which runs about $60 on average depending on brand and kelvin rating

And here's the ballast you'd need to buy. You can buy an entire package deal which comes with everything, but I just posted seperate components incase you wanted to buy it piece piece:)

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=PFO250&Category_Code=PFOballast

BTW, I can pretty much keep anything I want under the 250w;)

Usually the rule is to put one halide bulb every two feet apart of your tank length, but in your case I believe one would work as I don't believe an Oceanic 38 gal tank is over 3 ft long. I may be wrong. The bulb should be at least 8" above the water line. A tank height of 24" or more should consider 250W or 400W. Also you need to watch the heat build up in your tank. There are fans available to mount in your canopy. Some systems have built in fans to help with heat build up.

Depending on what you are keeping or wanting to keep, depends on the watts used. You should be able to get by with 10,000 K (kelvin) 175 watt bulb with this set-up. The higher the k # the bluer the bulb.

As for mounting the unit it will depend on what system you plan on buying or have purchased. Look at some of the members pics, canopies and lighting systems and see which ones best suit your system or design plans. Good luck with your project and keep us all posted on this project.

I'd go with something similar like Krish, if your limited on space & your hood isn't very tall, otherwise you'll encounter problems like the lamp being too close to the water & splashing on it. Also depending on what you want to keep I'd probably go with the 250W set-up just because the 175's don't perform well & your not conserving that much comparing & spreading over 3ft.

I would also say do a 250 instead of a 175. Also plan on adding a small fan to reduce heat.

Agree with the 250's also since i jsut upgraded to 250's from 175's. Things where doing good with the 175's, but i just didn't think I was getting enough depth from them. Plus the cost difference that was already stated earlier is minimal.

Back