Metal Halide hood

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmac

hello,
i have a pc lighting now and i have been looking for a new Metal Halide hood for my Aquarium, i have noticed that the width of the Halide hoods are really wide, and because they are so wide will the new hood work with my glass top that came with my 58g oceanic? if not what should i do? thanks.

i know alot of ppl with glass lids. the lid will just reduce the amount of light penitration that actually gets to the water. glass is nice becuase it wont melt due to the heat of the mh,,,lol

my glass top opens so i have that plastic hinge in the the middle can i use it, and will that hinge block that bulb?

Last edited:
isnt the whole point of having a lid to prevent "some" water from evaporating and to prevent any water splash on your mh bulbs and to prevent jumping fish??

eggcrate would only protect from jumping fish. not splashing, not evap. and bsides. eggcrate is ugle looking =P

I've had my tank topless for about 8 months and never had any problems with exploding MH bulbs. I would rather deal with adding water than heat.

And no, I didn't try purchasing rpe's on nanoreef.

lol well IMO since i have to buy my water @ .45$ a g. that is a lil expensive...lol. but still. IMO i would rather have a glass lid on it OK!

freak: oh, there was a guy from walla walla that wanted to buy my rpe...lol guess itsw not you..haha

A lid will lower your pH significantly as well, due to CO2 buildup. If you're planning to run a calcium reactor I'd try to do without the lid.

Back