Metal halide??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

immedicatdru2

What is the difference in metal halide ballasts' such as what you buy already made up for aquariums and commercial ballasts' that you would get . For instance a 175w ballast for an aquarium and a 175 watt pendant that you would use in a shop or building? Could the shop version be set up to be used in an aquarium?

I'm not sure Steven...here's a bump for you....

immedicatdru2 said:
What is the difference in metal halide ballasts' such as what you buy already made up for aquariums and commercial ballasts' that you would get . For instance a 175w ballast for an aquarium and a 175 watt pendant that you would use in a shop or building? Could the shop version be set up to be used in an aquarium?
:?: :) Gggggggggggeeee.... ya got me wondering the same.....Why not...? other than actual wireing it, ....... hope some Electrictal Head can help us , cw

I rewired a 175watt wallpak (metal halide ballast) You know the kind that hang on the side of buildings. Anyway My electric bill had almost doubled the first couple months after I hooked it up. No bueno. Save yourself the headache of trying to figure out why your electric bill is so high and just buy a ballast made for aquariums, they are more efficient IMO.

Look at post #6 I think,there are a couple of pics. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9564

Last edited:
if the ballast is an m57 then yes it will run your aquarium 175w bulbs, but it will probably be a probe start and not pulse start so you will have to make sure you get an appropriate bulb. xm's will work on probe start ballasts

Back