Metal halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am running just one 250w MH over my 29 and have AWSOME colors ..no other lighting..
Everything is healthy and I run them about 10 hours a day.. 930am to 730 pm..

So what would you guys recommend 500watt metal halides or t-5's? ive got some good info on both and am on the fence.

Need more information. How big is your tank? List the dimensions LxWxH. What kind of livestock do you want to eventually have? This is important because it will save you $$$ setting it up for the end result you are going for.

Need more information. How big is your tank? List the dimensions LxWxH. What kind of livestock do you want to eventually have? This is important because it will save you $$$ setting it up for the end result you are going for.

+1! Also i think you mean 400 watt MH.

Without more info I would say T5's, but mainly because they use less power for the same light (if you have good bulbs and reflectors that is). On many tanks a 4 to 6 bulb t5 setup can give you around the same PAR as 2 250 watt halides, and only run 200 to 300 total watts.

Kim

The tank is a 75gallon 48wide 21tall and 18deep. i have one clam now would like to get a couple more. have an open brain a bunch of mushroom and zoos and sum palys. would like to get some coral like montiporas some gorgonias some more colorful fancy stuff. the fisture i was looking at gettin has 2 250watt bulbs in it. and i was going to run that along with my powercompacts. and possibly put all actinic in the PC

That will work fine, for lighting. But so would T5. I have a 6 bulb setup over a 75 that has a lot of sps frags growing on racks and LPS/clams all over the bottom of the tank.

Kim

I have two 400 watt m.h 18k and2 6ft vho's actinic and it is striking for a softie tank l.o.l. .But if u are worried about heat go with t5's the infered heat alone on m.h. will kill the room this is in!I want to go to t5's just for that purpose!

Back