MH Lighting Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
I am planning to put two 250W DE MHs on my 90. The pendants are both ReefOptic IIIs with Ice Cap ballasts. One of the pendants came with a 20K bulb. I plan to run two 110 VHOs with the MHs. My question is what bulb should I run with the 20K? I originally was planning to run two 10Ks with two acitinic VHOs. I don't necessarily want to throw away the 20K bulb, but what can I do to get the best lighting for my tank. I forgot to mention that the tank is 28x18x24. I am planning to have softies and possibly some clams for now, but I would like to eventually keep hard corals.

Thanks

Erwin

do you mean 48x18x24?

My only other question is how much life does the 20k bulb have left?

Mixing and matching MH bulbs is tough to do. You may end up with half the tank looking blue and half looking more white unless there is a bunch of overlap. If the 20k bulb has a bunch of life left on it, I would get another of the same brand (they still may not match perfectly). If the bulb is close to done, then get 2 new ones of whatever type you like and keep the 20k as a backup in case of a break/burnout.

Mat

Hi Erwin i use the 20K

Hi Erwin i use 2 ea 20K metal Halides with a HQI PFO Balest on my 150 gallon tank and a 10 K in the middle the blue is evident on the edges but i also have the 50/50 with two acitinic VHOs and this seems to be a great combination I realize you only have 2 metal Halide lamps you may try using the 20 K on one side and a 15K on the other. My tank is 29" deep and also 20" wide good luck on your choices..Jeff:D :D

When you only have two bulbs over the tank its not really a good plan to mix the colors. you will end up having two different colored sides. Go all one or the other.

Mike

Back