micro bubbles ?? check valve?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ROLLINS

Hi, I'm getting some micro bubbles into my display tank. I have a sump w/ 2 bubble traps, so I know my return pump in not sucking up any bubbles. My first thought was that It was due to my check valve (this is a ball type check valve that you would buy from lowes or home depot). My thought is that some small micro bubbles might be created through turbulence by the way the water has to pass through and around the spring ball check valve. I have see a swing type check valve from marinedepot.com. This type looks nice because it is slightly translucent and has a union on each side for cleaning purposes. They also advertise less lost pressure to the nature of the swing valve. My return pump is a mag 7, and the 3/4" pvc return has 2 unions, 1 45, and two back to back 90's going into a lock-line return. Before I buy this expensive $23 new check valve from marinedepot, I thought I might pick your guys brain a little first. Thanks in advance.

Rollins

its got nothing to do with turbulence in the check valve.

It could have something to do with a bad plumbing joint at the check valve though

If you are certain that they arent coming from the sump then you have a leak in your plumbing. leaks dont necessarily always leak water. they can catch air and create a venturi

check valves are a bad idea anyway. set up your returns so the water either falls away from your outlet ports breaking the siphon or drill a couple of holes just under the wter level that will break the siphon and lose the check valve. It will need maintained and even then can fail when you actually need it. If you go the drilling holes route make sure to drill 2 holes in each of however many returns you have just under the water level and make them more than a snail width apart. Otherwise one snail in the wrong place at the wrong time can hold the siphon and create a flood

Is your locline out of water for any part of the flow path? You may be sucking in air at one of the locline joints.

its got nothing to do with turbulence in the check valve.

check valves are a bad idea anyway. set up your returns so the water either falls away from your outlet ports breaking the siphon or drill a couple of holes just under the wter level that will break the siphon and lose the check valve. It will need maintained and even then can fail when you actually need it. If you go the drilling holes route make sure to drill 2 holes in each of however many returns you have just under the water level and make them more than a snail width apart. Otherwise one snail in the wrong place at the wrong time can hold the siphon and create a flood

I second that.

I got my microbubbles under control by using a filter sock on the overflow and a layer of filter media foam between on of the bubble traps. If you do this make sure to clean/replace the filter media every once in a while.

I chased microbubbles for 2 months. Man was I hacked. I finally cleaned my return pump and what do you know. They disappeared.

put a 90 on your return pump and face it down. This was it sucks the water from the bottom of your sump. There's less bubbles there.

Never do this! Read the directions with your pump, not to be used as a vacuum. Invest in some filter socks like these and your problem will be solved.

June30_l_filtersock.jpg

put a 90 on your return pump and face it down. This was it sucks the water from the bottom of your sump. There's less bubbles there.

It took all the bubbles away. I've been doing it over a year. the pump is a mag 7 and I got it used so there was no directions. Filter socks work to. I can't stand any bubbles in my display tank though, so I took it to the next level.

Just wanted to share the answer to my post. My locline was the problem just as DNJAN had suggested (THANKS). Only one of my locline joints was above the water line and sucked just enough air to cause microbubbles in my display. Also, I took everyone's advice and removed the check valve, and drilled two 1/4" holes just below my display water level in one of the locline to disrupt siphon. IMO home depot style check valves are very inconsistent and unreliable, it is so much easier, safer, and cheaper to just drill a hole in the right place (thanks fly guy). Thanks again everyone, this is why reeffrontiers rocks!

yea i have a micro bubble problem also .... anyone wanna come over and help... i cant seem to figure out how to stop my jacuzzi tank....

Back