Missing fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Octupus

Octupus
I have a well establisehd 180 gallon tank with the following fish in it.
1- Sailfin tang
2- Purple tang
3- Flame angel
4- False perc
5- yellow watchman goby
6- a couple of shrimps
7- lots of crabs and snails
8- pistol shrimp
about 400 lbs of live rock, corals including RBTA (could it be the suspect?)

3 weeks back i got two fire fish... one disappeared the next day the other disappeared by the 3rd day. No remains or anything.

I replaced them yesterday and also brought in two beautiful pipe fish. This morning, i can only see one of the fire fish. The other is missing. What could cause these fish to disappear? i have spotted a hitch hiker crab before but he was eating off the rocks and really small... any creatures i should be aware of or be on the look out for? thanks!

oh if you want to see my tank live.. http://24.16.41.129/main.cgi?next_file=main.htm

Last edited:
I have no guesses on where your fish are, we have had a couple disappear although not fire or pipefish and never found their poor little corpses behind the tank or otherwise. One of the mysteries of a big tank is suspect.
I was trying to check out your video but no luck,
Is the link right?

one of my friends had a firefish and wed only see it like once a week. we always thought it was dead and then right after the lights went out wed spot him for just a second. are these fish known to hide like that?

Just see little lego, is it set to give anyone access? My husband used a free webcam hosting place when we went on vacation to babysit the tank. Don't know if that would be easier or not.

I had a clown fish disappear the same way and never did find it. In a 29gal no less! I suspect it went AWOL with my missing socks. :)

weird .. yes anyone can see it. i tried it from many places. Let's see if anyone else had luck with it. You can change the zoom to get a larger window.

If you have a hungry cleaner crew maybe they never left the tank. We had a powder blue disappear in our 120 and we never found anything. We attribute it to a good cleaner crew.

Weird, I will try in from my other computer. I am sure this is some sort of error on my part!
weird .. yes anyone can see it. i tried it from many places. Let's see if anyone else had luck with it. You can change the zoom to get a larger window.

Back