Mixing different types of salt water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dawgwe1

There is a LFS in tacoma that sells steralized salt water from Seattle aquarium. Is it OK if I use that water when I start my tank and then at some point start using my own saltwater mix once I get my own RO system? (It will be a few months before I get an RO system).

Thanks

I don't really see a problem. I'd just make sure that when you do the switch that you make sure your make up water's salinity and parameters are the same as the tank before adding it in. :)

Last edited:
Also, something I forgot to add is stuff like calcium etc in some salt mixes can either be on the low or high side depending on which brand salt you are using so if you are shooting for a target level, you might have to adjust for it. :)

PM mojo IIRC there was issues with Seattle aquarium water, just cant rember what.

Don

As per the Seattle Aquarium water its never a goodtime to use it when their is alot of rain which equals runoff which means all sorts of nutrients.
In regards to that water sterilized I am not to sure about.

What is it that you are thinking about when concidering using it??

Mojo

After reading the link above I may skip their water afterall. Seems like there is a need to add CA and others and it is not the same from when you get it one time to the next. I will just purchase RO water and mix the salt my self. What kind of salt mix to members have the best luck with. There are a lot of options out there.

Thanks for all of the quick replies...

My Apologies. Didn't realize they had that sort of issue there. Typically when people get NSW here they don't get it from the shoreline for these same reasons. They collect from a ways off of shore to be safe. :)

No kidding Krish remember we dont live in a tropical wonderland like you, specially now days, lol

Good choice Dawg, its a good choice for those that have really big tanks as the water cost can be high if making. I sude to drive up their (summers only) with a bunch of drums in the back, quite the scene.

I will leave it up to others on the salt type as I havent done a WC in a bit

Mojo

After reading the link above I may skip their water afterall. Seems like there is a need to add CA and others and it is not the same from when you get it one time to the next. I will just purchase RO water and mix the salt my self. What kind of salt mix to members have the best luck with. There are a lot of options out there.

Thanks for all of the quick replies...

Here is a poll I put up a few weeks ago on salt. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f36/salt-mix-do-you-use-57735/ Also, try to get ro/di water and not just ro water. :)

i have been using the seattle aquarium water in my reef and fish only tanks for over 10 years and have never had any issues. yes calcium can be low but I do have a calc reactor.

Yea Fishoutofwater I used it for years to. I did find it was a seasonal thing though, the rainy season just made for to much nutrients. Back in the old days you could get it filtered, I heard they stopped that though??

Mojo

Thanks for the poll. I will look at the top two - instant ocean and reef crystals.... Thanks for all of the replies.. I also had the same question to what 'sterile' saltwater was....

Thanks for the poll. I will look at the top two - instant ocean and reef crystals.... Thanks for all of the replies.. I also had the same question to what 'sterile' saltwater was....

I love Instant Ocean. That's all I've ever used and never had an issue. :)

Use I/O for one major reason...

I can always find it. Even Petsmart sells it.

Not always the case with other brands. Are their other brands which dont require supplementing to bring up to NSW standards? Yes.
But I cant be guarenteed of finding them consistantly, and in every thread where people start mixing & matching saltwater, they wind up losing corals.

Best bet so far is to pick a brand and stick with it.

Nick

Back