mixing tangs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sryder

i had a small yellow tang that was doing great. he always swam out in the open. i introduced a blue spotted kole tang to the tank who of course likes the rocks. the yellow started to hang around inside the rockworck annoying the kole. anyway the kole took some nice chunks out of his fins and killed him. I want to add a sailfin tang to the tank and want to know if this is ok? steve

The yellow tang is Extremely Agressive... I think If you were to add another tang And the yellow has already killed a prior victim that I would pull the yellow tang and Add him last... It seems like the tank might be on the small side for a couple tangs as the behavior has semi shown... My yellow tang beat the crud out of a few new tangs but the tang was large enough that they were able to Establish and now all get along...

I was to the point where I was really tempted to Toss the Yellow tail out... It beat the crud out of a 6" Orange Shoulder and a 3-4" Powder Brown...

James

If you try to stick to the rule of 1 tang, or 3 tangs, with the yellow, purple, or powder blues added in the last addition, you should be alright. This is, of course, dependent on whether or not your tank is large enough to keep 3 tangs long term. Two tangs just never works over time, IME, unless you have a couple exceptionally easy going specimens.

Barbie

how big is your tank? It makes a big diff in whether they will tolerate each other.

my tank is a 140 gallon. it was the yellow tang who was killed. the kole is one hearty fish.

tangs

i have a kole and a sailfin in a 125 they get along fine. the sailfin was introduced first, but if you remove the kole , rearrange the rock somewhat and then reintroduce them at the same time, it should work fine. one other thing make sure the sailfin is at least as large as the kole when you purchase it. i believe the kole will intimidate a smaller fish more than a like sized one.

i agree with reefaddicts assessment. change the rock after you remove the tang and then put them in at the same time. The problems are almost entirely territorial. that is why a bigger tank works, and why changing the territories work as well.

Mat

thanks guys I put in the sailfin and they seem to be getting along ok. a couple of minor disputes that seem to lessen each day. well see how it goes. steve

Back