Moding a ReefOcto insump skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zachrabbit15

Has anyone ever installed a bulkhead in a Reefoctopus skimmer to dump directly from a bio-pellet reactor into the skimmer? Or would it be better to discharge the reactor outflow into the skimmer compartment of the sump? From what I understand and bio-wast that is discharged from the reactor should be exported via foam to the collection cup. Figured if you feed the output into the skimmer it should withdraw a higher %. I may be off base, wouldn't be the first time LOL

That is how I have my counter current air driven skimmer set up. If you look at OBDs filtration system, it is set up that way.

So what your all saying is that the skimmer should fallow the Biological filteration ? So if you have a refuge you should do the rubble rock and macros first then skim befor the return pump???? I maybe setting up my refuge backwards???? Or is this just with bio pellet reactors? I'm planning a new refuge with massive rubble rock as a bio filter then the macros, but the skimmer was going to be first? Not trying to high jack just want to understand the flow of Bio pellets in a refuge.

Hello,
I always have skimmed before the refugium in my high flow systems....also another way is to have some overflow water go to skimmer area and some go to refugium area. With the split format return chamber is between skimmer and refugium areas.

Back