mogul vs. DE

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kidder

Was just wondering if there is any performance difference between mogul based metal halides and double ended metal halides, watt for watt? I have noticed that overall mogul base bulbs run a little bit more money. Thanks.

Options with 250 watt metal halides

Kidder I have had 2 reef tank since 2004 my sps tank is more shallow a 75 gallon unit with a depth of 22" I have a custom PFO fixture I bought from Kevin @ Aquatic dreams it has the double ended metal halides.
I run them and have been told you can only run double ended metal halides on HQI Ballast. I have had very good luck on sps,anomie's, & Clams under these lights.
My big tank is also a custom PFO fixture with 250 watt mogul base bulbs, I have had very good luck running LPS,Anomie's, & Clams in this deeper tank 29" also powered with HQI ballast, But what I have read from Sanjay is there is no real difference in the style of bulb double ended versus mogul base bulbs.
IF you do your home work : check bulb "PPFD"
Verify you are using the same ballast
finally how about the fixture itself?
Hope this gives you some good points to start with...
Jeff

Look up and verify please read this exurb~
Discussion and Conclusion

Look for comparison of power and PPFD of the various lamps tested. Once again as seen from the data and plots, there is wide variation among the lamps and the use of CCT to designate the lamps is pretty much meaningless given that the spectral plots are often very similar yet the lamps are being sold with different color temperatures. The usual disclaimer applies - this data is based on a sample size of one, and we have no idea what the variation is within lamps. The HQI 80 ballasts tends to consume much higher wattage than the rated 250W, while the electronic ballast tends to stay close to the rated power of the lamp. The implications of consuming more power are obvious - more light output, however if this detrimental to lamp life remains to be seen.

Comparing the data here and other 250W DE articles with the data for 250W Mogul lamps, should provide enough factual information to dispel the myth that 250W DE lamps produce more light output than the 250W single ended mogul lamps. A general sweeping statement to this effect cannot be made, and depends on the lamp under consideration.

Was just wondering if there is any performance difference between mogul based metal halides and double ended metal halides, watt for watt? I have noticed that overall mogul base bulbs run a little bit more money. Thanks.

Hi:

For all kinds of data on metal halide bulbs, check out Sanja website. My experience is that the moguls are cheaper especially in the 400W. I also have had mixed results with 400W DEs and convered back to moguls. As for 250W, they are about the same. There are clearly more options in bulbs for moguls, which is the primary reason for me staying with moguls at this time. There are many opinions on which are best is you search the various forums. Good luck.

Back