moisture = mold = no tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sedrostyle

Hi everyone. This is kinda my last chance.
We just moved into our new house and it was really well built and insulated compared to our old house.
My tank is currently in the garage. It is a 55 with a 20 below.
No lids.
I have noticed moisture in the garage but I figured because it was you know on a concrete floor a d there's not a lot of heat out there.
Yes it's insulated.

Well now. I'm starting to see little spors om the garage door at the bottom. Now I know it's the rainy season. And I have from time to time open the garage door and let the garage heat.
But I noticed tonight that. And I'm really sad.
I don't know what to do.
I have a crawl space in the garage with attic access.
Our house has the surrounding vents that go all the way around the house. So I'd think that was good if I opened that area so the garage could "vent"

If anyone has any help that'd be great.
Can't really afford a dehumidifier.

Only other option is to sell the tank and maybe get a pico for the kitchen counter.

Thanks in advance

Steven

can you leave a little crack in the garage door? or some how get fresh air from outside into the garage?

I have the same setup as you. I have 3 QT tanks (2 55g, and 1 75g) as well as my 375g with all the equipment in the garage. Have had this setup for 7 yrs and never seen mold spores, but it is humid in the garage.

I do have an attic fan in the garage so maybe this is where the fresh air is coming from.

if you want to stop by and check out my setup, you are free to do so, just PM me.

Yea there is a hole to the attic in the garage.
I may try to open it. As I do have vents along the roof line around the whole house.
You have like a bathroom fan to pull the air up?

Can't cracked the garage door. But I could open that top space to allow air that way.

It is connected to a temp sensor. When the temp in the garage is 72 fan turns on and pulls cool air from crawl space and push hot air out of garage

Ah. Fancy. I'll have to swing by if I'm down in the area.
I will have to figure something out with bringing fresh air inside the garage.
Just figured with it being so wet outside I'd have to do something special.

Would adding one of those portable baseboard heaters with a built in thermostat help? I think I have one of those stored somewhere in my garage.

Lids go a long way to keeping the humidity down. It also helps meet the temp up. Once you get the tank into the house where the air temp is warmer you might see better results.

Is the garage door wet to the touch?

I guess it is wet. You can see the corners of the panels wet. Their wood.
I will get a picture today. I opened that thing in the attic today so well see how it looks when I get home.

Back