Monti cap. question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

So......I have two frags of Montipora cap(sp.) and then I have a third frag that fell to the bottom of the tank. I finally found it! :eek: :D . I think it is still alive but it is sooooo much lighter in color than the part that has been under the PC (we're talking 7" away) lights.

What should I look for to tell if it is indeed alive? The holes where the polyps come out look well kind of empty but not dead.

Thank you in advance for any advice about how long I should keep an eye on this frag before I should take it out. My nitrates are slowly lowering over the last 8 months. Using a Salifert test they are between 10 and 20 ppm. the only stony coral I have are these really nice frags I got. the mushrooms are doing great and I have had an anemone for almost 6 months. It is not a majano or aiptasia. Well, I could go on and on, bla bla bla but I won't :D .

So the question was ...what should I look for on a montipora capsulewhatever that grows usually in the shape of lettuce? Should I see polyps? Will it mess up my tank if it dies?

Again,
Thank you

Monti cap is pretty tolerant to low lighting but it does bleach pretty easy with low light as the zooxanthellae leave. Usualy they turn a light brown color but are still alive. I would try moving it back up and see if the color returns. It may take a while.

dennis

I wouldn't worry about it messing up your tank if it dies. I'd put it low in the tank for a week or so so it can reacclimate to your lights, than move it up a few inches at a time 'til it's back where you want it. I don't give up on stonies until they're covered in corraline.

I found and SPS frag that was lost for months (maybe upwards of 6)...it was white as a ghost when I first recovered it but I slowly moved it up in the tank and it's come back well and even got it's color back.

Back