MOORISH IDOLS... How to keep em' without a "Four Leaf Clover"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shallowreef

Many of you feel and have experienced the fact that Moorish Idols are impossible to keep. Well i'm sorry you have bad luck so far but if i may, i would like to offer a few tips/secrets on how to successfully keep a Moorish Idol.
First i like to start by saying that just because i joined yesterday doesn't mean that i'm a green horn when it comes to keepin things alive. I also would like to state for the record that i'm not god either! i screw up too so before anyone feels the need to say i'm an idiot, please hear me out.

What i've found to be the most effective way to keep a Moorish idol is this:
I'm sure many of you have a fish store that you go to for all of your reef keeping needs. This is also where you probably see your majestic Moorish Idol. Now if your close enough with your fish guy like i am tell them your interested in that fish and ask them to holdthe fish for like a week or two for you. Make up an excuse like you don't have the money yet or some B.S. like that. Now if that fish stays alive for those two weeks and is feeding you have living proof that its not impossible to keep them, even in a little holding tank like the ones at most shops. Also ask what your fish store feeds their Moorish Idol. Your gonna want to feed them the same thing in your tank at first to keep them eating. Once you get your Moorish idol home i find its best to make your room as dark as possible. Float your fish for about fifteen minutes to let the two water tempatures match. After that open the bag to let fresh air in. Now i add about a cup of my water to the bag and look for a reaction If everything is cool wait ten minutes and a dd another cup. Do this for twenty minutes and then dump half of the bag and add another cup every ten minutes do this for another twenty minutes. If the fish wigs out wait like another fifteen minutes and then add a quarter of a cup every ten minutes. After about a half hour dump half the water out and continue for another hour. Now instead of just dumping your fish in the tank. Try and sink the bag or slowly turn the bag upside down so the fish can swim out when its ready. Another method i've that works fairly well if not better. After you open your bag to let fresh air in poke two hole in the bottom of the bag and two at the top. By doing this your slowly letting the bag water out and your water in. its a slow, slow process but it gets the job done.
Once you've gotten your fish in the tank and acclimated comes the hard part...Feeding.
Now remeber you want to feed them exactly what they were being fed in the shop because their use to it and they'll eat it.
I've found it to be most succesful to treat them like tangs. and stuff them with algae verses Brine shrimp. You see Moorish idols will eat brine shrimp rather easily but what happens is you give them a protein overload and their stomachs can't digest it all and it sits in their gut and starts to rot in their stomachs which then leads to a burial at sea (a flush down the toilet). Feed your Moorish Idol algae, lettuce, seaweed...etc. It would not be wise to put a Moorish Idol in a tank with little to no algae on the rocks. I would recomend these fish to older reef tanks with large amounts of micro and macro algae.

REMEBER I'M NOT GOD. Just beacuse this method works for me don't think its a sure thing. I love Moorish Idols i find it exciting to keep a "Unicorn" type fish. I also want to add that i didn't do this on my first try. I wasted about $800.00 on Moorish Idolsbefore i got it down perfect. I've tried 16 times and 3 out of the 16 have worked. I only own one because i only have a 90 with limited swimming room. I sold the other two off for a decent price and my customers say that their fish are doing just fine.I don't have a digital camera yet but i plan on picking one up in the near future and when i do i'll need someone to walk me through how i can post pictures on the forum for everyone to see my "Four Leaf Clover"

So Good Luck and Contact me for any questions at [email protected]

I aint gun to read sum long story that some green horn newb written.

No i must say i tottally agree with you, that these fish arent impossible, its people like me shouldnt keep them, they should be sold once you get your expert badge. Nice reading and nice to meet you!

Thanks for posting your experiances up Nicholas.

Nick

I wouldn't recommend the putting holes in the bag and float it method. Some stores use copper and you wouldn't want that seeping into your tank. Your LFS may be an exception.

shallowreef said:
Have you ever tried Moorish Idols Nick?

No.
When I lived in Hawaii, they were all over the place and few people were able to keep them alive there. Now that I live in St Louis and the stress on shipping fish is much higher, the odds of gettting one that might survive is much lower IMO.
Besides, my little 58 gallon reef is plenty full with the 5 fish I have in it right now.

Nick

shallowreef - let me know if you have trouble posting pics. Send me a PM if you need help.

I certainly respect your viewpoint on keeping the MI in captivity. Some say the smaller you get them, the more likely they will survive. I don't feel that purchasing MIs are a very conscientious decision, however. Terry Bartleme posted in the thread, FOTW ~Zanclus cornutus~, that success with the species should be measured in years and not months. How long have you had this one in your tank? I do know a couple of folks that have been successful with them. One is in the thread I linked above. Another I saw in person, however, this fish wasn't in the tank for more than a few months....so I can't comment on the long term survival of this particular MI. Your success rate of 3 out of 16 seems pretty low to me, and I can appreciate the "want" to keep such a beautiful fish. I certainly wouldn't recommend them to the inexperienced, or those with a small tank lacking a large amount of live rock. There are a couple of reefers on reef central that actually go out to collect live sponge from their local area to feed the MI. I thought that was an interesting approach, and last I checked, seemed to be sustaining the fish...combined with other foods, which I can't recall what they were.

Also, I don't buy into the "advancement of keeping the species".....at what cost? If you have lost 13 MIs, and you are one person trying to keep this species, can you imagine what the total losses of MIs are? Again, I respect your decision to care for this delicate species....I just wanted to share my viewpoint. Definately a beautiful fish, and I look forward to the pics.

Well Thanks for throwing in your two cents, i really appreciate that. I did forget to mention though that i did purchase all my MI's on the big side except for five of them and three of those five where the ones i had success with. Alos to answer your question as to how old my MI's are. Well the first one i sold will be 2 years old in Dec, the second one will be 15 months old in Nov, and mine is 5 months old. I wish i could buy live sponge around where i live. that would be a real treat for my MI.

Also tacocat thanks for saying that. Your right a lot of stores do run copper in their systems which i think is kind of dumb. But you are absolutely right, Thanks for catching that, that is super important!!!

shallowreef said:
Well the first one i sold will be 2 years old in Dec, the second one will be 15 months old in Nov, and mine is 5 months old.

That sounds great! Hopefully, the folks that purchased them will take great care of them. Another question.....do you think other inhabitants of the tank have an influence on the MIs survival? For example: Do you think a tank with a much more aggressive tankmate would not be good for the MI? I've always thought that perhaps to get the best success from a MI, one should set-up a species tank. That way there is no competition. Even if the fish eats prepared foods, all the picking on the LR is left to the MI. Thoughts? Oh, and do you know what area your MIs were collected from? The tank I saw that had a small MI in it....the owner had mentioned depending on location of collection makes a difference, too.

I guess learning is half the battle, I really hate the cost though, I wish we had clear defined methods & requirements, from what I've seen in large tanks they eat coralline algae as a primary food source, how they eat it I don't know exactly but the large ones would nip constantly at it. I still would strongly not encourage this fish to the inexperienced & like Nikki mentiond I think it would be a safe bet to either have a very large tank or few other fishes of its size. Lets face it, we kill thousands before we learn what is required to keep fish & corals for that matter, hopefully one day we can return what we destroyed, it would be the only humane thing to do, In our part to protect our oceans reefs. I guess it hits me hard because I feel in a case like this it has been a loosing battle in most attempts. Sorry for babbling.

Well i have a blue tang and he has a problem with everybody in my tank. He has his own little personal bubble space and if you get to close he freaks. I would suggest keepin a MI with little to no fish at first. The good thing about mine Blue tang is that he isn't a grazer like my MI. So my MI has all the coraline and algae he wants. I have no clue where mine came from. I can ask and get back to you.

Scooterman,

I'm hoping that by doing this i'll be able to come up with a rock solid method to keep MI's. yeah i feel horrible about how many i've lost but think about it. Look how far science has come with keeping corals. I'm trying to pave a way for everybody else when it comes to keeping MI's

Sounds kinda good you know, it would take dedication & documentation thoroughly to be helpful. I would like to know for sure what makes them so difficult to keep in the first place, we need a hard answer on that.

Back