Moorish Idols

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jesseb

A few weeks back, during a visit up at Barrier Reef, I broke down and bought a pair of Moorish Idols that were simply mesmerizing me. I've never had them before - but after a lengthy decision process - ended up having to take them home.

For those so inclined, I would not recommend anyone just go out and buy Moorish idols – I was putting them in a comfortable size reef tank of 400G tank with a not overly aggressive set of tankmates – 2 foxfaces, 2 blue hippo tang, a yellow tang and some green and Vanderbilt chromis and a few bangaii cardinals. Mostly SPS and LPS corals and an Anthelia Polyp. I bought them realizing there was a risk in purchasing this kind a fish – but I expected success with them would be great for my tank and could be helpful for others.

I thought I’d share some observations since getting them:

• The fish themselves are about 3” in length
  • When I bought them it was obvious (and still is) they were a bonded pair. They swam everywhere in the LFS tank together, and still rarely are seen separated. I never would have bought one, and after seeing them together, would hope no one would ever let a pair like that be separated. One is the obvious more aggressive (male?) and the other far more passive.
  • They were in fantastic condition – they looked healthy – as you can see in the picture even had streamers on their dorsal fin (which my yellow tang helped fix after I put them in the tank).
  • In the LFS tank, they were very actively picking algae off of pipes and rocks, as well as picking the bottom. That is all I saw them eating.
  • I watched them for more than an hour, so was very comfortable with their condition when I finally bought them
Because of the delicate nature that Moorish Idols have a reputation for, I decided to risk putting them directly into my reef tank after acclimation. I made this decision for a few reasons –
  • Knowing they are very stress sensitive, I decided they’d adjust and adapt much better in the tank once, rather than go through a sterile QT environment and then moving them. Since they were eating aggressively and looked great – I thought I’d risk it (and that worked well I’m happy to say).
  • The tank is well established and has a rich array of algae, sponges, pods and who knows what else for them to feed on. Since picking is their natural feeding behavior, they had lots of opportunity for that in the tank.
Within an hour of putting them in the tank – they were out swimming and picking around the tank. That night, the aggressive one was eating frozen mysid, spirulina-enriched brine (soaked in garlic) and New Life Spectrum sinking pellets. The less-aggressive one picked constantly – and started eating Spectrum within a few days. She doesn’t eat any frozen food that I've seen, but picks around the tank constantly and goes nuts for Spectrum when I put it in the tank.

Observations now

It’s been a bit more than 2 weeks since I put them in the tank- and they are awesome. I have only once or twice seen them on opposite sides of the tank… they are pretty much always together. They finally seem to be in a comfort zone in the tank – the yellow tang is still occasionally trying to make sure they know who’s the boss, but other than that, they seem to have adjusted well. They seem to like water current – I find them spending large amounts of time doing what looks like body surfing in a couple of high current areas in the tank. They seem to seek these spots out – I’ve seen them move sides of the tank when the MBV switches output to the other side to ride the waves. They are almost always out and about, and I’ve never seen them sit still.

I’ve seen no corals or sponges bothered at all. I feed the tank heavily – 2 feedings daily with mysis, brine and spectrum – and spectrum usually at least a couple of times a day. Their bellies are constantly round and full looking. While they will both eat out of the water column (especially the aggressive eater) – they seem to prefer picking the same foods off the bottom or rocks. They LOVE Spectrum to eat.

Last edited:
what an incredible story, I was fearing it wasn't going to have a good ending. This is so cool. I know you've got to be happy they have done so well and I applaud your write up on what and how you did this. Attempting to keep these fish is something that cannot be taken lightly.

Congrats..

I wasn't expecting a good story either as I hear these guys are extremely delicate. I saw the same Idols at Barrier and they did look amazing and healthy. It's amazing they love pellets, who would have thought. Many people will never get to enjoy such a fish, enjoy them! I forgot to ask, how is the Starry Blenny doing?

Last edited:
Spectrum is a must, with my moorish idols I did alot of research and found that it is the only food the gives reef keepers the chance of keeping a MI's long term. While they do love sponge, a vast array of different green, brown, red algaes rich in different nutrients is what keeps them alive and healthy. You can keep them stuffed to the brim with brine and mysis, bellies fat ad round, but they WILL still die in a matter of a couple months due to eating the wrong food. Spectrum is awesome and I'm glad you found some. I would also strongly recommend purple, brown, red and green algae sheets. You can also soak the sheets in selcon. Keep in mind the reason they are so delicate, I was thinking like achillies and powder blue tangs they would be prown to ich. Both my MI's had a horrendous outbreak of ich, and actually shook it entirely on their own within 10 days and have been fine since. They need lots of vitamins and nutrients. Unlike me, I can live off of burger king.
Good luck, and check out wetwebmedia.com too.
Brett

Last edited:
Great feedback Brett - thanks.... question - do you use the various algae sheets as a supplement to Spectrum, or do they get algae as their primary food?

Spectrum is a must, with my moorish idols I did alot of research and found that it is the only food the gives reef keepers the chance of keeping a MI's long term. While they do love sponge, a vast array of different green, brown, red algaes rich in different nutrients is what keeps them alive and healthy. You can keep them stuffed to the brim with brine and mysis, bellies fat ad round, but they WILL still die in a matter of a couple months due to eating the wrong food. Spectrum is awesome and I'm glad you found some. I would also strongly recommend purple, brown, red and green algae sheets. You can also soak the sheets in selcon. Keep in mind the reason they are so delicate, I was thinking like achillies and powder blue tangs they would be prown to ich. Both my MI's had a horrendous outbreak of ich, and actually shook it entirely on their own within 10 days and have been fine since. They need lots of vitamins and nutrients. Unlike me, I can live off of burger king.
Good luck, and check out wetwebmedia.com too.
Brett

I wasn't expecting a good story either as I hear these guys are extremely delicate. I saw the same Idols at Barrier and they did look amazing and healthy. It's amazing they love pellets, who would have thought. Many people will never get to enjoy such a fish, enjoy them! I forgot to ask, how is the Starry Blenny doing?

Hey Rick -

He's an absolute kick - and is doing ok - though he's not as happy as I had to put him in the sump for now - the bicolor blennie keeps chasing him into the overflow.... and I haven't been able to catch the bicolor (I'll move him out when I do and put the starry back in the tank..)

awesome jesse - I was cringing all the way through the end thinking i'd read a bad story. this is great though. they are so beautiful!

Spectrum...I've never heard of it but I imagine it's got a lot of sponges in it. What other fishes have sponges as a big part of their diet? Do all of your fish eat Spectrum or just the MI?

They are very beautiful.

Jesse,

Thanks for the update. I am so glad to hear they aren't bothering your corals! Hopefully we can duplicate your success in more large aquariums.

Thanks for the great story! And congratulations on such great success. You know how everyone has "their fish?" *THE ONE*? The MI is mine, and one of the reasons I keep a reef tank. I've never attempted them, I'm still stuck with a 38g tank. Someday, I hope to have your success.

Another photo - almost 1/4 of the tank... the green chromis is around 3 1/2"... the blue hippo tang is around 6".

Last edited:
I use the sheets in addition to the spectrum. They can get a little of everything that way.

It's rather interesting what a change a week can bring.

Everything has been pretty much copastetic - the idols have become more and more comfortable and are out and about in the tank more and more. The yellow tang is still every now and then challenging them, but certainly the worst of that seems past.

This morning, I'm finding what was the "passive" moorish idol is seriously beating the tar out of what was the more aggressive of the two - to the point where I may have to remove the one being picked on from the tank.

They are both still eating... but the attackee is certainly showing some shredded fins. Not sure what started this beef....

Brett - any thoughts - you see anything similar?

Last edited:
I've never actually seen a green chromis that big before! I hope the MI's continue to do well. They are georgeous....LOL I use that word alot on Reef Frontiers!

Jesseb, one of our club members had the exact same behavior with his Idols. He had two, both passive and together. Then they became comfortable with the tank and one started showing dominance to the other. They were fighting to the point where the aggressor had the other one pinned in the corner of the tank behind rocks while he swam back and forth waiting for him/her to come back out.

One of them was eventually removed and relocated to another tank.

In a bit of a bummer - I had to remove the Idol that was being beaten today - it is still very much alive. It'd be dead in two days tops if I didn't based on the pounding it looked to me like it was taking. Still eating btw - the brief pauses in beating were when I'd put food in the tank - food gone, civility ends...

Yesterday, he was fighting back - being aggressive and taking shots back - today, it was obvious who was boss... so now, he's hanging out in the sump - (still eating - even in there I might add)... I'll let him recover a few days to make sure he's ok.. and then perhaps see what the trade winds can bring...

The other one, in the meantime, is doing great - once he figures out he's the only MI he'll be able to focus his attention on taking over the tank - it's still trying to hunt down the other one to terrorize it...

Last edited:
Back