more tank mishaps, could probably use some fish advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineTeng

Reef Padawan
the yellow tang strikes again, my word of advice ot beginners, don't do tangs first,
my true perc died to fright of my tang/me trying to calm it down by moving it to another tank, and another weekend away, maybe i'll just try ocelleris any thoughts on keeping fish, for whatever reason i've had a lot more success with corals then fish, a lot more, only had a few corals die, my one attempt at sps with pc and my xenia which died to carbon treatment as far as i can tell
thanks for your help

thats a real bummer about the perc. i had a pair die in a wipeout caused by an animal added to the tank known for this sort of problem but wasnt warned by the lfs. hard to watch them die, it drives me to aquire as much knowledge as possible, and learn to be patient about adding or building your setup. hope things get better soon.

ya, unforunately i've had very bad luck/skill with fish, i've lost 3 ocelleris 1 true perc, 2 fire fish 1 gsm, 3 chromis and only had 4 clarkii and 1 yellow tang live, but my record with coral is much higher, like 8-3 or so, living - dead

i'm really sorry to hear about your clown, i knew you really wanted to get the other true perc :( .
When i first started i only added 2 chromis, not just to make sure my tank was ready, but to see if i was doing everything right like feedings and stuff.
I think just for now you should stick to the ocellaris and yes no tangs in their tank because they get scared i had the same thing happening to me.
I added a baby yellow tang to my 37 gal (i know bad bad very bad) and the clowns were at the very top of the tank trying to get out.
I mean i've seen people having tangs with ocellaris and they are fine but i guess you gotta add them at the same time.
I also think it would help if you add the clowns first and then the tang ... just my opinion dood :)

Very sorry about your clown, those guys are so beautiful. For six years I had an Ocellaris, a Saddleback Clown and a Six Line Wrasse together in a thirty gallon reef tank (same fish for six years until I took down the tank). There was always peace, maybe a few outbursts, but never anything over the top. Keep trying w/out the Tang, and with the right combo of fish you'll have a good success rate.

Back