Morish idol

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Octupus

Octupus
Greetings!
how compatible are Morish idol in a reef tank? it is my dream to have a couple in my 180 gallon tank. My tank is set up for softies and i am willing to take some risk if they nibble on the softies. want to see if someone had any experience and their recommendation/advice. thank you

Some people on here have idols, but I believe they're all in FOWLR tanks. They have a very very low survival rate and its really tough to get them to eat in captivity.

Lee has one. That would be your best bet for info.

I am happy to see most LFS dont carry those very often. This one should really be left in the ocean.

that newlife stuff looks like I could use it for my freekin stubborn porcupine puffer that wont eat anything unless I force feed him...is there anywhere I can get some around here???

As already posted a few times, the Idol belongs in the class of "better left in the wild." In four years of scouring way too many forums, I've only read of one person who's had longer success than maybe a year with an Idol. PaulB, a member here, had one for quite some time. His specialized feeding efforts, however, were more than most were willing to endure.

Do the fish, the reef, your wallet, and ultimately the industry a favor, and let this one go. The Idol is also my "dream fish" but this is bigger than getting what we want.

Also, I agree NewLife Spectrum is great stuff. It's my pellet food of choice. However, also remember that you're watching an advertising commercial. The intent of advertising isn't necessarily to offer documentation of the truth, but to sell.

Thank you all! I guess we can't have it all! I am going to stick to a "screen saver" with an Idol :(... thank you all for the information.

Also, I agree NewLife Spectrum is great stuff. It's my pellet food of choice. However, also remember that you're watching an advertising commercial. The intent of advertising isn't necessarily to offer documentation of the truth, but to sell.

Compared to the ingredients of Oceans Nutrition, you'd find stuff in NLS the ON doesn't have, Like Wheat!

Yep idols are cool, but i've only seen two people keep them successfully. Maybe try a generic idol, the black and white butterfly fish. But he may nip your softies.

Back