mounting blue wave III Remote HQI ballast

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bbehring

Just purchased sun system blue wave III Remote HQI ballast w/ Maristar 24" MH250/T5 combo unit. Have a couple of quick questions. 1. I'm assuming to set the T5 and HQI on timers I will need to plug the T5 plug into a timerclock and the actual ballast end plub for the HQI into a timerclock? 2. I need to mount the blue wave III Remote HQI ballast to the side wall of the tank stand (inside). The unit has rubber legs, do I need a heat sink mounting head and how do you connect the ballast to the stand side wall. 3. The stand has sizable openings in the back. Do you think I will need a fan to pull heat out of the stand due to heat throw off from the ballast? Thanks for anyone's help here.

If it were me, I would mount the ballast outside of your stand, or canopy. Your ballast will create heat. You do not want your ballast to get wet either from a hose or skimmer, splash, etc. The ballast will cool more efficiently if it is in the open air, the way it was designed(fins). I would hook my lights independently to eachs own three pronged timer.

Ed Hahn, thanks for the response. I have a closet that is in close proximity, where I can route a 1 1/2" conduit through the wall in back of the where the tank sits. This will allow me to set the ballast on the floor of the closet. I will probably use a standard small 12" sq. paving stone (for heat sink) to sit the unit on so it does not have to sit on the carpet. I think this will keep the unit out of the stand and from providing heat transfer to the sump

Back