mounting clams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

that depends on the type of clam you have or want. Croceas,Maximas are found up in the reef in the wild so i always put them up on the rocks, but i dont "mount" them, if they are happy there they will grab on with there byssal threads.Derasa,and Gigas are fine on the sand along with Squamosas.but again i wouldnt try to mount them (when you say that im thinking glue) just place a small rock or half a clam shell under them.

Chris&Barb,
Will it cause a Croceas,Maxima to die if they are not directly on top? Right now mine is on the bottom of my tank in a 2" deep sand bed. Its opening up everyday, but not as much as it should. If i move it to about half way up the tank (90) will it do better? FYI i'm running 2x250 20K and 2xT5 about 3" off the water. I wonder if this is why i have had the luck that i've had with clams in the past. Also what do you reccomend as for feeding clams? What additives do you use?

If they get enough light down thier Shallow they will be fine, but in the rocks or a half shell is perfered, how far down from the light are they?? As per food, once they get over 3 inches they feed on thier own zoox and then absorb nutrients directly from the water column so no extra food needed

mike

Well a 90 is 24"T if i'm not mistaken, so i'd say 22" from the surface and 25" from the lights. My clams have always been at the 3" mark when i have bought them. I do add phyto plankton and reef solution every other day.

all my Maximas and Croceas are at least 1/3 to 1/2 way up the rocks,and i dont add anything (food)for them.i do run 10k bulbs because they more closely match the shallow water environment that clams come from.

Back