Move the Tank When Refinishing Hardwood floors

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefer

We had hardwoon floors put in about a month ago. We have 1000 SF upstairs where the hardwood floors went in and the same downstairs. The tank is downstairs. I don't know if it was the dust from sanding the floors or the fumes from the sweedish finish, but get your tank out if you ever have your floors done. I lost most of my softies, a beautifull purple tang and gold rimmed tang, my hard corals bleached. The Millipora is alive amd well the Staghorns may or may not be alive. They are bleached but still look like the polyps are slightly extended. (I hope) Lost one of three shrimp. Surprisingly my two open brains, candy cane, finger leather, buble tip anemone, three shrimp, star polyps, some zoo's and the balance of my fish survived. My skimmer has been working overtime foaming over the top. My sump foamed up at the top with 2 inches of foam for about a week. It seems have run it's course now the foam is about gone. The algae is subsiding and the water is now crystal clear.
It was really depressing to have a total loss of control and to see so much die and not know what to dispose of before it poluted the tank further or if it might survive. What a hard lesson. I've read other peoples whoa's and never really know how they felt but now I know. I was ready to throw in the towel at one point but things seem to be under control now.

Thats terrible. Thanks for telling us. I was about to get my floors sanded and refinished as well. You might be able to host a frag party and provide food and drinks for frags from friends. Maybe even end up better off than you started. I am sorry for your losses. Hope the rest make it through all right. Steve

Very sorry to hear of your loss. If I had to bet I would say that the fumes from the finish were probably the main problem. Hopefully you can get some new frags in there and get it back to its former glory.

The tank is downstairs in the family room. The hardwood floors were upstairs. There was plastic over the stair openning. He was probably not aware there was even a tank in the house.

Back